Wednesday, May 22, 2013
WENATCHEE In some parts of the state, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife is using a rudimentary method known as fladry to deter wolves from an area containing livestock.
Fladry — strips of plastic flagging hung on a wire around an area with livestock, sometimes in conjunction with an electric fence — has been used recently near Wenatchee, as well as parts of Kittitas and Stevens counties.
However, the Department of Fish and Wildlife is not currently employing fladry in Okanogan County, Regional Wildlife Manager Matt Monda said.
Monda said fladry only makes sense in certain situations, mostly at the request of a livestock operator.
“Where we’re using those right now is where we have a cooperative agreement with a livestock operator where we’re working to proactively reduce the chance of a problem,” Monda said.
Even then, fladry is only a temporary fix. Initially the flapping red ribbons scare off the wolves, but “they’re not going to be nervous for very long,” Monda said.
“If they really want to get in there, if there’s something that’s really attracting them into that area, it’s only going to have a short-term effect.”
Monda said Carlton rancher Bernard Thurlow, who had a calf killed by a wolf in 2012, was approached about the idea of using fladry at one point, but “it didn’t really work for him. It wasn’t really something he desired.”
More like this story
- Okanogan returns to state 2B title game
- 810 (2015-472 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) City of Omak
- 810 (2015-562 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) INVITATION TO BID
- 810 (2015-613 Nov. 18, 25) At the regular council meeting of November 10, 2015
- 810 (2015-626 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) Notice is hereby given that the Town of Riverside, Washington
- 810 (2015-627 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) A public meeting for the 2016 Budget
- 810 (2015-628 Nov. 25) NOTICE OF ORDINANCE PASSED BY THE OKANOGAN CITY COUNCIL
- 810 (2015-629 Nov. 25) CITY OF OKANOGAN NOTICE OF STREET CLOSURE NOTICE
- 810 (2015-630 Nov. 25) SUMMARY OF RESOLUTION No. 39-2015 OF THE City of Omak, Washington.
- 810 (2015-632 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING