Wednesday, May 22, 2013
OKANOGAN Five area museums open Memorial Day weekend, helping visitors kick off the summer with an abundance of local history.
Four museums are under the umbrella of the Okanogan County Historical Society:
• The Okanogan County Historical Museum and Fire Hall will open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. every day.
• The Conconully Museum will be open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.
• The Molson Museum and Old Molson Site will open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., seven days per week.
• The Shafer Museum in Winthrop, 285 Castle Ave., opened on weekends starting with the annual ‘49er Days celebration. From Memorial Day through Labor Day, the museum will be open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Buildings to browse include a log house built in 1896 called “the Castle,” a print shop, a schoolhouse, a general store and The Hall Shop for women. The grounds are open during daylight hours. Admission is by donation.
The Old Depot Museum in Oroville will be open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. every Monday through Saturday.
In Pateros, the museum at City Hall, 113 Lakeshore Drive, is open year round from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on weekdays.
Saturday hours from noon to 4 p.m. will include May 25, June 15, June 29, July 6, Aug. 24 and Aug. 31. The museum will be open all day July 20-21 during Apple Pie Jamboree, and from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on July 21, the last day of the Jamboree, according to museum coordinator Joni Parks.
The museum includes a peek into the old jail, old blueprints and aerial photos of the town, an exhibit about the Chinese miners who worked there when the town was founded in the late 1800s, and more.
Admission is free, but the museum accepts donations.
More like this story
- Donations sought for Wellpinit fire victims
- Pickens North wildfire reaches 600 acres
- Crews work to line Pickens North fire
- 820 (2016-349 Aug. 24, 31) CALL for BIDS-BID No. 418-16
- Opening arguments start in Alltus murder case
- 810 (2016-346 Aug. 17, 24) NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS
- (2016-336 Aug. 10, 17, 24) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-347 Aug. 24)Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority
- 820 (2016-348 Aug. 24) Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority Board
- Meteorologists issue red flag warning
Live wildfire coverage
Pickens Mountain fire near Split Rock Road in Havillah. Footage filmed live on location 8/24/16 Enlarge