Wednesday, May 22, 2013
EAST WENATCHEE Omak’s Shaylyn Goodall repeated as District 6 tennis champion in girls singles following two weeks of play for seeding to state.
Also heading to state in boys singles are Liberty Bell’s Manuel Perez, who won the district boys single crown, Omak’s Greg Sklar at No. 3 and Liberty Bell’s Carlos Perez at No. 4.
Okanogan’s Zoe Cheeseman and Luisa Cardenas are going at No. 4 in girls doubles.
Omak’s Morgan O’Dell and Gabe Holz are going at No. 4 in boys doubles.
Goodall topped Chelan’s Andrea Rainey, 6-0 and 6-0, in the quarterfinals May 18 and defeated Cashmere’s Molly Kenoyer,6-1 and 6-0, in the semifinals.
In the finals, Goodall hooked up with Tonasket’s Megan Beyers for a tough match Goodall won, 7-5, 6-4. Goodall heads to state as a No. 1 seed while Beyers is the No. 2 district seed.
“It was a great match as both players really played well,” Omak coach Lance O’Dell said. “Megan is a great competitor and I think both gals should do well next week at state.
Sklar came back from falling 2-6, 7-5 and 6-7 (2-7) in the quarterfinals to Cashmere’s Warren Robertson.
“He was to play for third- and fourth-place against Liberty Bell’s Carlos Perez, but Carlos had an injury and had to forfeit allowing Greg to take the third-place finish to state,” O’Dell said.
Perez received the No. 4 seed to state.
“Morgan O’Dell and Gabe Holz won in the quarterfinals against Chelan’s Jenkins and Hendricks 2-6, 6-4 and 7 –5,” coach O’Dell said.
The win put the Pioneers in the semifinals against eventual state champs Brain Norwood and Adam Ross of Cashmere, who won 6-2 and 6-2.
In the consolation bracket, O’Dell and Holz eliminated teammates Brady Layton and Caleb Riggle, 5-7, 6-2 and 6-2 then lost to Davis and Murillo for third- and fourth-place.
Okanogan’s Zoe Cheeseman and Luisa Cardenas fought back from losing in the first week starting with a win over Chelan’s Tess Young and Shelby Dietrich, who had beaten the Bulldog duo earlier this year.
District 6 1A/2B tennis results
Girls singles – 1, Shaylyn Goodall, Omak. 2, Megan Beyers, Tonasket. 3, Megan Robinson, Chelan. Molly Kenoyer, Cashmere. Alternate: Andrea Rainey, Chelan.
Boys singles – 1, Manuel Perez, Liberty Bell. 2, Chad Raven, Cashmere. 3, Greg Sklar, Omak. 4, Carlos Perez, Liberty Bell. Alternate: Adrien DuBois, Chelan.
Girls doubles: 1, Tasha Kowatsch and Sammy O’Bryan, Cashmere. 2, Eric Spanjer and Meg Green, Cashmere. 3, Hailey Hassinger and Katie Whitten, Cascade. 4, Zoe Cheeseman and Luisa Cardenas, Okanogan. Alternate: Shelby Dietrich and Tess Young, Chelan.
Boys doubles: 1, Brian Norwood and Adam Ross, Cashmere. 2, Frank Rosas and Dillon Morrison, Chelan. 3, Jeremy Davis and Gilberto Murillo, Entiat. 4, Morgan O’Dell and Gabe Holz, Omak. Alternate: Eli Jenkins and Tanner Hendricks, Chelan.
More like this story
- 800 (2015-448 Aug. 26, Sept 2, 9, 16) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 800 2015-453 Sept. 2) Twisp River Floodplain, SEPA 2015-7 Final SEPA Determination
- 820 (2015-379 July 29, Aug. 5, 12, 19, 26, Sept. 2) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-380 July 29, Aug. 5, 12, 19, 26 Sept. 2) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-395 July 29, Aug. 5, 12, 19, 26, Sept.2) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN.
- 820 (2015-430 Aug. 19, 26, Sept. 2) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-440 Aug. 19, 26, Sept. 2) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-444 Aug. 26, Sept. 2) NOTICE OF VARIANCE REQUEST
- 820 (2015-445 Aug. 26, Sept. 2, 9) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-451 Sept. 2, 9, 16) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR
Omak-Riverside Eastside Road helicopter water drop
Short clip of a helicopter dropping water on the Tunk Block Fire today along Omak-Riverside Eastside Road. Enlarge