Wednesday, May 22, 2013
SEATTLE When it comes to non-daily newspapers in Eastern Washington, The Chronicle is the only one to receive awards recently in a regional Society of Professional Journalists contest.
The weekly newspaper earned two first-place awards and seven others in the 2012 Society of Professional Journalists’ Northwest Excellence in Journalism Contest.
Reporter Dee Camp won for “He’s always ready to tie one on” in the personalities category, a feature story published June 17 about Okanogan High School Principal Bob Shacklett’s collection of 155 – at that time – ties.
Publisher Roger Harnack took first in the news photography category for “Optimism grows on fireline,” a photo printed Sept. 19 of a helicopter carrying water in front of a glowing red, smoky sunset over the Okanogan Complex Fire in the Methow Valley. Former managing editor Cary Rosenbaum and Julie Bock won second place for “Gas War” in the business reporting category. The Nov. 7 article examined a drop of about 60 cents per gallon from the previous weekend at two competing gas stations in Okanogan.
The staff collected several third-place awards:
• Dee Camp, “Growing up as a ‘dam kid,’” lifestyles reporting.
• Al Camp, “Horse dies in Suicide Race,” sports reporting.
• Harnack, column writing.
• Rosenbaum, “In the line of fire,” news photography.
• Al Camp, “Rocky landing prevented,” sports photography.
• Al Camp, photo portfolio.
“These awards affirm our staff’s commitment to providing our readers with the very best news coverage,” Harnack said.
Award winners were announced at the Society of Professional Journalists’ annual awards gala on Saturday night at the Renaissance Hotel in Seattle.
The annual Northwest Excellence in Journalism Contest honors journalism in Washington, Alaska, Idaho, Montana and Oregon.
More than 1,900 entries were received from about 260 news outlets, according to the Society of Professional Journalists website, www.spj.org.
More like this story
- 820 2016-011 Jan. 20, Feb. 10)
- 800 (2016-012 Jan. 13, 20, 27) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN - JUVENILE
- 800 (2016-024 Jan. 20) Notice of Appeal Hearing SEPA Appeal of DNS for CUP 2015-8 Morgan Septic Lagoon
- 800 (2016-025 Jan. 20) Notice Seeking Comments regarding Juvenile Detention Options
- 810 (2016-019 Jan. 20) Notice of Initiation of Plan Update, Adoption for Implementation and Issuance of a DNS under SEPA
- 820 (2016-021 Jan. 20, 27, Feb. 03, 10) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-018 Jan. 20, 27, Feb. 3) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2016-013 Jan. 13, 20, 27) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER FOR SALE
- 820 (2016-014 Jan. 13, 20, 27) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2016-015 Jan. 20) As per law, the Okanogan School District