Wednesday, May 22, 2013
SEATTLE When it comes to non-daily newspapers in Eastern Washington, The Chronicle is the only one to receive awards recently in a regional Society of Professional Journalists contest.
The weekly newspaper earned two first-place awards and seven others in the 2012 Society of Professional Journalists’ Northwest Excellence in Journalism Contest.
Reporter Dee Camp won for “He’s always ready to tie one on” in the personalities category, a feature story published June 17 about Okanogan High School Principal Bob Shacklett’s collection of 155 – at that time – ties.
Publisher Roger Harnack took first in the news photography category for “Optimism grows on fireline,” a photo printed Sept. 19 of a helicopter carrying water in front of a glowing red, smoky sunset over the Okanogan Complex Fire in the Methow Valley. Former managing editor Cary Rosenbaum and Julie Bock won second place for “Gas War” in the business reporting category. The Nov. 7 article examined a drop of about 60 cents per gallon from the previous weekend at two competing gas stations in Okanogan.
The staff collected several third-place awards:
• Dee Camp, “Growing up as a ‘dam kid,’” lifestyles reporting.
• Al Camp, “Horse dies in Suicide Race,” sports reporting.
• Harnack, column writing.
• Rosenbaum, “In the line of fire,” news photography.
• Al Camp, “Rocky landing prevented,” sports photography.
• Al Camp, photo portfolio.
“These awards affirm our staff’s commitment to providing our readers with the very best news coverage,” Harnack said.
Award winners were announced at the Society of Professional Journalists’ annual awards gala on Saturday night at the Renaissance Hotel in Seattle.
The annual Northwest Excellence in Journalism Contest honors journalism in Washington, Alaska, Idaho, Montana and Oregon.
More than 1,900 entries were received from about 260 news outlets, according to the Society of Professional Journalists website, www.spj.org.
More like this story
- 820 (2015-518, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-513 Oct. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-512 Oct. 7, 14) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-507 Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-503 Sept. 30, Oct. 7) NOTICE OF HEARING PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT NO. 1 OF OKANOGAN COUNTY 2016 PROPOSED BUDGET
- 820 (2015-490 Sept. 23, 30, Oct. 7) In The Superior Court Of The State Of Washington County of Chelan.
- 820 (2015-456 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-455 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Public Notice
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Town of Twisp Request for Statement of Qualifications
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge