Wednesday, May 15, 2013
OKANOGAN The city probably won’t spray for mosquitoes this year.
During its May 7 meeting, the City Council heard a recommendation from its Personnel, Public Safety and Contracting Committee that spraying be suspended.
No spraying was done last year after the contracted pilot’s plane crashed near Okanogan while doing agricultural spraying.
This year, Omak decided not to spray for budgetary reasons. Okanogan piggybacked on Omak’s spray permit and time is too short to seek a permit of its own.
No action was taken on the recommendation.
In other business, the council:
• Learned Okanogan seniors are making a Zen garden at Arboretum Park.
• Decided to give volunteer awards during Okanogan Days on June 1.
• Decided to replace a couple manholes on Pine Street as part of a paving project this summer.
• Tabled a proposed 2013-14 agreement with the North-Central Washington Narcotics Task Force. The council wants a task force representative to make a presentation.
• Advanced to second reading a resolution authorizing Upper Valley Disposal to pick up garbage in the Fowler Annexation area at the south end of town. Upper Valley picked up trash in the area before the annexation.
Sunrise Disposal picks up garbage elsewhere in the city.
More like this story
- Pateros forfeits Friday's football game
- Pool tournament to honor Lucas White
- Dance hall era
- Conconully Lake Resort closes
- County considers health board’s future
- High school football scores
- High winds expected Friday, Saturday
- Manson cancels football game with Okanogan
- Feed raises $5,500 for injured player
- Coachmasters claim drag racing title
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge