Wednesday, May 15, 2013
EAST WENATCHEE The high school district tennis tournament May 11 proved tough on teams.
Full results were not received May 13.
Luisa Cardenas and Zoe Cheeseman are Okanogan’s lone entry making the second weekend of play, May 18, at either Eastmont Middle School (girls) or Eastmont High School (boys), Bulldog coach Jeff Cheeseman said.
“They had a bye the first round and played great in the second round, beating Chelan’s No. 2 team,” the coach said. “They struggled in their second match against Cascade and lost the first in a tie-breaker and the next 4-6.
“They weren’t playing very well in the second match, but I think next weekend they would beat those girls if they see them again.”
The team needs to win two matches to play for third- or fourth-place.
The Top 4 at district advance to state.
Omak’s Danielle Berntsen and Diane Hilderbrand, who entered No. 4 seeded, were knocked out.
Okanogan’s Jazmin Salgado at No. 1 singles won her first match 6-3 and came back from down 0-5 to win 7-5.
She then lost her next match against Chelan, Cheeseman said.
Voting was done last week for Top Caribou Trail League tennis honors, with Shaylyn Goodall, who entered district undefeated, named League Player of the Year.
Frank Rosas of Chelan was named the boys Player of the Year.
Tonasket received the sportsmanship award.
Ted Smith of Cashmere was voted Coach of the Year.
Top seeds into district include:
Boy’s singles: No. 1 seed — Manuel Perez, Liberty Bell; No. 2 seed — Adrien DuBois, Chelan; No. 3 seed — Chad Raven, Cashmere; and No. 4 seed — Greg Sklar, Omak.
Girl’s singles: No. 1 seed — Shaylyn Goodall, Omak; No. 2 seed — Megan Beyers, Tonasket; No. 3 seed — Megan Robinson, Chelan; No. 4 seed — Molly Kenoyer, Cashmere.
Boy’s doubles: No. 1 seed — Rosas/Morrison, Chelan; No. 2 seed — Norwood/Ross, Cashmere; No. 3 seed — O’Dell/Holz, Omak; No. 4 seed — Davis/Murillo, Entiat.
Girl’s doubles: No. 1 seed — Kowatsch/O’Bryan, Cashmere; No. 2 seed — Young/Dietrich, Chelan; No. 3 seed — Hassinger/Whitten, Cascade; No. 4 seed — Berntsen/Hilderbrand, Omak.
More like this story
- 820 (2016-368 Sept. 14, 21, 28, Oct. 5, 12, 19) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT
- 820 (2016-372 Sept. 21, 28, Oct. 5, 12) IN THE TRIBAL COURT OF THE CONFEDERATED TRIBES OF THE
- 820 (2016-373 Sept. 21, 28) Town of Conconully Call for Bids
- 820 (2016-376 Sept. 28, Oct. 5) NOTICE OF HEARING
- 820 (2016-381 Sept. 28) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-382 Sept. 28) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-386 Sept. 28, Oct. 5, 12) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF CHELAN
- 800 (2016-377 Sept. 28) Notice of General Election Okanogan County, State of Washington
- 810 (2016-371 Sept. 28) STREET CLOSURE
- 810 (2016-378 Sept. 28) CITY OF OKANOGAN
Chronicle News Broadcast for Sept. 28, 2016
A Ferry County woman claims a wolf attacked her small dog, a motorhome catches fire on Highway 97, a ground breaking ceremony is planned for an Omak Stampede Museum, a look at your weekend weather, and weekly sports repor Enlarge