Wednesday, May 15, 2013
EAST WENATCHEE The high school district tennis tournament May 11 proved tough on teams.
Full results were not received May 13.
Luisa Cardenas and Zoe Cheeseman are Okanogan’s lone entry making the second weekend of play, May 18, at either Eastmont Middle School (girls) or Eastmont High School (boys), Bulldog coach Jeff Cheeseman said.
“They had a bye the first round and played great in the second round, beating Chelan’s No. 2 team,” the coach said. “They struggled in their second match against Cascade and lost the first in a tie-breaker and the next 4-6.
“They weren’t playing very well in the second match, but I think next weekend they would beat those girls if they see them again.”
The team needs to win two matches to play for third- or fourth-place.
The Top 4 at district advance to state.
Omak’s Danielle Berntsen and Diane Hilderbrand, who entered No. 4 seeded, were knocked out.
Okanogan’s Jazmin Salgado at No. 1 singles won her first match 6-3 and came back from down 0-5 to win 7-5.
She then lost her next match against Chelan, Cheeseman said.
Voting was done last week for Top Caribou Trail League tennis honors, with Shaylyn Goodall, who entered district undefeated, named League Player of the Year.
Frank Rosas of Chelan was named the boys Player of the Year.
Tonasket received the sportsmanship award.
Ted Smith of Cashmere was voted Coach of the Year.
Top seeds into district include:
Boy’s singles: No. 1 seed — Manuel Perez, Liberty Bell; No. 2 seed — Adrien DuBois, Chelan; No. 3 seed — Chad Raven, Cashmere; and No. 4 seed — Greg Sklar, Omak.
Girl’s singles: No. 1 seed — Shaylyn Goodall, Omak; No. 2 seed — Megan Beyers, Tonasket; No. 3 seed — Megan Robinson, Chelan; No. 4 seed — Molly Kenoyer, Cashmere.
Boy’s doubles: No. 1 seed — Rosas/Morrison, Chelan; No. 2 seed — Norwood/Ross, Cashmere; No. 3 seed — O’Dell/Holz, Omak; No. 4 seed — Davis/Murillo, Entiat.
Girl’s doubles: No. 1 seed — Kowatsch/O’Bryan, Cashmere; No. 2 seed — Young/Dietrich, Chelan; No. 3 seed — Hassinger/Whitten, Cascade; No. 4 seed — Berntsen/Hilderbrand, Omak.
More like this story
- Guthrie music remembered Saturday
- Youth soccer tourney results announced
- Oxygen airs show about Tonasket murder
- 800 (2016-202 May 18, 25, June 1)
- 800 (2016-213 May 18, 25) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 800 (2016-214 May 18, 25) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 800 (2016-233 May 25) TONASKET EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES DISTRICT NOTICE
- 800 (2016-235 May 25, June 1) NOTICE OF CALL FOR BIDS
- 800 (2016-237 May 25, June 1) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING (Supplemental Appropriation)
- 800 (2016-238 May 25) Notice of Final SEPA Determination and Hearing Date CUP 2016-2 “N.O. Paws
Reclamation officials talk about Conconully Lake Resort
Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge