Wednesday, May 15, 2013
EAST WENATCHEE The high school district tennis tournament May 11 proved tough on teams.
Full results were not received May 13.
Luisa Cardenas and Zoe Cheeseman are Okanogan’s lone entry making the second weekend of play, May 18, at either Eastmont Middle School (girls) or Eastmont High School (boys), Bulldog coach Jeff Cheeseman said.
“They had a bye the first round and played great in the second round, beating Chelan’s No. 2 team,” the coach said. “They struggled in their second match against Cascade and lost the first in a tie-breaker and the next 4-6.
“They weren’t playing very well in the second match, but I think next weekend they would beat those girls if they see them again.”
The team needs to win two matches to play for third- or fourth-place.
The Top 4 at district advance to state.
Omak’s Danielle Berntsen and Diane Hilderbrand, who entered No. 4 seeded, were knocked out.
Okanogan’s Jazmin Salgado at No. 1 singles won her first match 6-3 and came back from down 0-5 to win 7-5.
She then lost her next match against Chelan, Cheeseman said.
Voting was done last week for Top Caribou Trail League tennis honors, with Shaylyn Goodall, who entered district undefeated, named League Player of the Year.
Frank Rosas of Chelan was named the boys Player of the Year.
Tonasket received the sportsmanship award.
Ted Smith of Cashmere was voted Coach of the Year.
Top seeds into district include:
Boy’s singles: No. 1 seed — Manuel Perez, Liberty Bell; No. 2 seed — Adrien DuBois, Chelan; No. 3 seed — Chad Raven, Cashmere; and No. 4 seed — Greg Sklar, Omak.
Girl’s singles: No. 1 seed — Shaylyn Goodall, Omak; No. 2 seed — Megan Beyers, Tonasket; No. 3 seed — Megan Robinson, Chelan; No. 4 seed — Molly Kenoyer, Cashmere.
Boy’s doubles: No. 1 seed — Rosas/Morrison, Chelan; No. 2 seed — Norwood/Ross, Cashmere; No. 3 seed — O’Dell/Holz, Omak; No. 4 seed — Davis/Murillo, Entiat.
Girl’s doubles: No. 1 seed — Kowatsch/O’Bryan, Cashmere; No. 2 seed — Young/Dietrich, Chelan; No. 3 seed — Hassinger/Whitten, Cascade; No. 4 seed — Berntsen/Hilderbrand, Omak.
More like this story
- PUD to decide yay or nay on Enloe
- County has cash flow problem
- Tonasket wants to annex land south of town
- Drug bust lands eight people in jail
- Okanogan school levy falling short of 60 percent
- 800 (2016-173 April 27, May 4) Notice of Public Hearing
- 800 (2016-175 April 27) Mooney SP 2016-2 Application and SEPA Exemption
- 800 (2016-176 April 27) Jackass SP 2016-1 Application and SEPA Exemption
- 800 (2016-177 April 27) Yakama Nation Twisp Ponds Project, SEPA 2016-1 Final SEPA Determination
- 800 (2016-178 April 27) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
Reclamation officials talk about Conconully Lake Resort
Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge