Wednesday, May 15, 2013
ISSAQUAH Josef Avena of Omak and the Wenatchee Fire boys under 11 soccer team recently won the state title and are headed to regional competition.
The Sting won its first-ever cup by outscoring opponents 32-8 in the 18-team tournament that started April 19 and finished April 28.
The Sting finished undefeated by topping Tacoma’s Rainier Soccer Alliance, 2-0, in the championship.
Wenatchee advances to play champions from Northern California, Alaska, Idaho, Montana and Oregon in National Premier League regional championship starting June 22 in Redmond.
Avena, who tried out and made the team, has been traveling to Wenatchee to practice three times a week.
Sting 9, Coeur d’Alene 3
Sting 9, Academy of Soccer 0
Sting 5, Idaho Thunder 2
Sting 4, Tacoma 1
Sting 3, XIFA 3
Sting 2, Rainier Soccer Alliance 0
More like this story
- Community engagement is Methow fair’s theme
- VIEW FROM THE SIDELINES: Start them young
- Training exercise planned
- Delayed opener predicted for North Cascades Highway
- Games must go on
- UW students spend break working with youngsters
- Gas prices remain stable; price increases expected
- Growers meet with lawmakers
- Breakfast bill gets Steele amendments
- Drivers have until March 31 to remove studded tires