Wednesday, May 8, 2013
REPUBLIC — For the third time in four years, Republic High School has received achievement awards from the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction.
Republic received three awards, including the overall excellence award, which is given to the Top 5 percent of schools in the state. It also received awards for science and its graduation rate.
Principal Shawn Anderson said the awards mean a lot to the school.
“We value that as a staff very much and take a lot of pride in the fact that we’ve won achievement awards three out of the last four years,” he said. “It’s part of our school improvement planning process and something we take a lot of pride in.”
Republic High School was one of six area schools to receive achievement awards recently.
Liberty Bell High School received awards for overall excellence, math and graduation rate, and Methow Valley Elementary School received an award for science.
Pateros Elementary School received an award for closing the achievement gap, and both Okanogan High School and Tonasket High School received high progress awards.
Anderson said it’s a combination of several factors — first and foremost of which is the students.
“Over the last four years, we’ve had some tremendously excellent students that have gone through our system,” he said. “That makes our job a lot easier, just strong groups of kids that have come through.
“And we have a staff here at Republic that’s been consistent, very little turnover, including the principal. We have a high school system that’s very consistent and we have some programs in place like our Navigation 101, which is our school’s guidance and counseling program.”
Anderson said the most important aspect of receiving the awards is that it translates into students who are well-prepared for life after high school, whether that means college, work or entering military service.
More like this story
- Bail set for Piturachsatit
- Candidates speak at Lincoln Day dinner
- Lake Roosevelt Elementary assistant principal arrested
- 800 (2016-029 Jan. 27, Feb. 3) NOTICE OF CALL FOR BIDS
- 800 (2016-042 Feb. 3) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 800 (2016-044 Feb. 3, 10) PUBLIC NOTICE OKANOGAN COUNTY SMALL WORKS ROSTER
- 800 (2016-047 Feb. 3) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 800 (2016-048 Feb. 3) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 800 (2016-049 Feb. 3) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 800 (2016-050 Feb. 3) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision