Wednesday, May 8, 2013
This week’s hot weather is giving just a hint of what’s around the corner, weather-wise, and this weekend’s events mark the opening of community festival season.
It’s time to round up the kids’ candy buckets, pack the sun screen and shades, and dust off the flip-flops and elastic-waist shorts.
This weekend marks the first in a summer-long lineup of community events designed to entertain, educate and fill you with yummy goodies of questionable nutritional value, from corn dogs to pie and Indian tacos to ice cream.
Weekend festivals are planned this weekend in Oroville, Omak, Winthrop and Coulee Dam, along with peace events in Tonasket and Oroville, a Mother’s Day fossil dig in Republic and opening weekend of the Okanogan Valley Orchestra and Chorus production of “Spamalot.”
This weekend alone - without ever leaving Okanogan County — you can watch old-time packers, a Maypole dance, two car shows and four parades.
And, lest you plan hunker down for fear of being overwhelmed, banish that thought. It’s possible to sample a bit of each event to get a flavor of the kinds of things that can happen when volunteers set their minds - and bodies - to making a festival happen.
Oroville offers its annual May Festival, a car show and Mother’s March for Peace; Tonasket hosts the annual Peace Festival; Omak offers the Friendly OK Car Club Show and “Spamalot;” Winthrop opens up for ‘49er Days; Republic offers a Stonerose dig, and Grand Coulee offers the Colorama Festival and ProWest Rodeo.
If you can’t get to everything, don’t despair. There’s a whole summer worth of festivals just waiting for residents, visitors — and volunteers.
More like this story
- 820 (2016-438 Nov. 23, Dec. 7) NOTICE OF TRUSTEE’S SALE PURSUANT TO THE REVISED CODE
- 820 (2016-439 Nov. 23, Dec. 7) NOTICE OF TRUSTEE’S SALE PURSUANT TO THE REVISED CODE OF
- 820 (2016-444 Nov. 9, 16, 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2016-446 Nov. 16, 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR
- 820 (2016-456 Nov. 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2016-466 Nov. 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-472 Nov. 30, Dec. 7) NORTH CENTRAL REGIONAL LIBRARY NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 820 (2016-473 Dec. 7, 14) Notice of Impact Aid Public Hearing
- 820 (2016-474 Dec. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-475 Dec. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
Chronicle News Broadcast for Oct. 19, 2016
An Oroville woman injured in car wreck near Crumbacher, Omak house damaged by fire, thousands expected to attend Okanogan Family (Barter) Faire, Natalie Carrier talks about the Omak Zombie Fun Run, a look at your weekend weather forecast, and weekly sports report. Enlarge