Wednesday, May 8, 2013
OMAK The Friendly OK Car Club will host its 20th annual car show Saturday, May 11 at East Side Park.
Organizer Paul Yarnell said cars will start arriving about 8 a.m. Saturday and will be displayed until 4 p.m., when ballots will be tallied and awards will be presented during an awards ceremony at the Okanogan Eagles, 1820 Second Ave. N. There will also be a silent auction at the awards ceremony.
Yarnell said the show has featured anywhere from 98 to 125 entrants in past years, and they will compete for trophies in 17 different classes. All cars will be judged by the public and there will be something for every type of car enthusiast, Yarnell said.
Among the different categories, one of the fan favorites is the special interest class, where anything goes. You never know what might pop up in the special interest class, Yarnell said.
“There’s a gentleman over in the Twisp area. He restores military stuff, tanks and trucks and jeeps and stuff and he brings those over a lot,” Yarnell said. “At one time he was going to bring over a helicopter but the weather didn’t cooperate. But we have boats and homemade cars and motorcycles and just all kinds of things.”
Yarnell said the show attracts entrants and spectators from all across the western United States, as well as Canada. With free admission and parking, he said there’s no way of telling how many people stroll through the park.
As one of the founding charter members of the Friendly OK Car Club, he has been involved with every one of the club’s annual spring shows.
There will also be a swap meet and flea market Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and food vendors will open on the grounds, as well. Recreational vehicle hookups are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
More like this story
- Golf tournament planned near Pateros
- Okanogan County imposes burn ban
- Commissioners host ATV meeting tonight
- Grant County imposes burning restrictions
- Body found in Okanogan River near Malott
- Fish and wildlife could shut down if there's no state budget deal
- 810 (2017-167 June 28) CITY OF OKANOGAN, WASHINGTON ORDINANCE NO. 1177
- 810 (2017-168 June 28) CITY OF OKANOGAN, WASHINGTON ORDINANCE NO. 1179
- 820 (2017-136 May 31, June 7, 14, 21, 28, July 5) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR
- 820 (2017-142 June 7, 14, 21, 28) IN THE TRIBAL COURT OF THE CONFEDERATED TRIBES OF THE