Wednesday, July 10, 2013
While Washington has gone through its own crisis with a last-minute budget, Oregon has been going through the same issue.
In many cases, pet projects seemed to derail Washington Legislators time and again, but nothing that comes close to Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber’s last-second idea dropped on legislators of our neighbor to the south.
Kitzhaber recently announced a proposal to fund free college tuition for any students in Oregon.
His proposal would be a $9 billion expenditure for the state — at a time when Oregon’s financial situation is in as bad of shape as Washington, if not worse.
Unemploy-ment in Oregon is still far too high, particularly in its capitol, Salem.
Yet, Kitzhaber picks this moment with the deadline for a state budget approaching rapidly to unveil this grandiose scheme.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the concept.
Free college education for anybody who wants it? Sign me up.
But where is that funding going to come from? Where does $9 billion get magically generated from a state that is struggling to keep its already-existing finances afloat.
Not to mention there are hundreds, if not thousands, of families that would consider moving to Oregon just for the free education that would come along with residency. Imagine how much money a couple with three children could save just by moving to the other side of the Columbia River.
It could save some Washington families thousands of dollars.
Although other countries have successfully implemented similar policies, the U.S. is a long ways away from offering free college tuition.
Garrett Rudolph is the managing editor of The Chronicle. He can be reached at 509-826-1110 or via email at email@example.com.
More like this story
- Burn ban extended for parts of Okanogan County
- 820 2016-011 Jan. 20, Feb. 10)
- 800 (2016-012 Jan. 13, 20, 27) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN - JUVENILE
- 800 (2016-024 Jan. 20) Notice of Appeal Hearing SEPA Appeal of DNS for CUP 2015-8 Morgan Septic Lagoon
- 800 (2016-025 Jan. 20) Notice Seeking Comments regarding Juvenile Detention Options
- 810 (2016-019 Jan. 20) Notice of Initiation of Plan Update, Adoption for Implementation and Issuance of a DNS under SEPA
- 820 (2016-021 Jan. 20, 27, Feb. 03, 10) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-018 Jan. 20, 27, Feb. 3) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2016-013 Jan. 13, 20, 27) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER FOR SALE
- 820 (2016-014 Jan. 13, 20, 27) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE