Friday, December 27, 2013
PATEROS The city is nearing completion on several projects paid for with a $500,000 state Department of Commerce energy grant.
One of the projects was a new vestibule built onto the front of City Hall, 113 Lakeshore Drive.
The vestibule is intended to keep cold air out of City Hall to save money on heating and enclose the welcome center, Clerk/Treasurer Kerri Wilson said.
The grant also paid for new lighting at the tennis courts, at City Hall, along the walking path in Memorial Park and at the wastewater treatment plant; a new heating, venting and air conditioning system for the public library; and new water and sewer pumps for the lift station.
“We’ve been saving for those for years and still did not have enough money to purchase them,” Wilson said of the pumps. The tennis court lighting had been a long time coming, too – the city had been forced to shorten the popular court’s hours to avoid utility overage charges.
“(The lights) are ancient, so they suck a lot of energy,” she said.
The city kicked in $100,000 in matching funds to complete the projects.
“We got $600,000 worth of work for $100,000. … It’s been awesome,” she said. “It was a great opportunity for the city for us to be able to get that.”
Projects were selected from a prioritized list compiled by Kennewick-based Apollo, Inc. The general contracting company conducted an energy audit and came up with a proposal, then the city narrowed down the list, Wilson said.
More like this story
- Donations sought for Wellpinit fire victims
- Pickens North wildfire reaches 600 acres
- Crews work to line Pickens North fire
- 820 (2016-349 Aug. 24, 31) CALL for BIDS-BID No. 418-16
- Opening arguments start in Alltus murder case
- 810 (2016-346 Aug. 17, 24) NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS
- (2016-336 Aug. 10, 17, 24) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-347 Aug. 24)Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority
- 820 (2016-348 Aug. 24) Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority Board
- Meteorologists issue red flag warning
Live wildfire coverage
Pickens Mountain fire near Split Rock Road in Havillah. Footage filmed live on location 8/24/16 Enlarge