Wednesday, December 25, 2013
LOUP LOUP There’s enough snow to tube at the Loup Loup Ski Bowl, but not enough yet for skiing, hill manager Sandy Liman said.
“We had fun tubing here today (Saturday),” Liman said. “We had a good crowd even around noon. There’s lots of sun, too.
“The only thing we can’t report yet is any skiing on the mountain.”
The hill’s Wild Wolf Tubing Hill and Area 51 Nordic area opened Saturday.
They are open 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. through the holidays, Liman said.
“The tubing hill is dialed and has even been groomed,” Liman said. “Area 51 Nordic is in its natural, organic, free-range mode and best will be great for hiking, snowshoeing and fat biking. Dogs are permitted on the trails as well.
“Loup ski season pass holders can use these facilities at no charge, so come on up to the Loup and have some fun.”
In preparation for the season, the quad chair test passed its once-every-seven-year test last summer.
The overload test required 800-plus pounds on each uphill chair, or about a 10-percent overload. The test included the chairs’ ability to safely start, stop, run in reverse and stop, and run at 100 feet per minute under auxiliary power, Liman said.
A new high tech roof coating was put on the day lodge.
“The leaky old brown metal roof is gone,” he said. “Now we are covered by a white three-stage polymeric coating that is guaranteed not to leak for the next 10 years.”
The day lodge also has a new designated beer garden area on the sunny front side.
“Picnic tables are available and skiers can now legally have a beer and a burger (for that matter) outside,” Liman said.
Other day lodge improvements include a renovated interior including all new wall and trim paint, additional storage cubbies (now 104 available — up from 56), two new dining/sitting bar areas with swivel chairs at the south facing window walls, nine new ski helmet storage wall mount shelves with a total of 63 additional new coat hooks.
In the original Loup Loup Ski Shop, there are available for rental new Head skis and bindings from Atomic.
“Ski boots have all been upgraded to the Delbello brand as we retired the older worn Salomon boots,” Liman said.
“We are ready to open the mountain the moment we get the snow we need,” Liman said. “When we get a dump, it will take 36 to 48 hours to pack, groom and let it set up.”
Other area hills in operation include Stevens Pass Mountain Resort, which opened Saturday, and Big White (51-inch base).
More like this story
- Lightning sparks several small fires
- Results for the Tonasket Truck and Tractor Pull announced
- 820 (2016-322 July 20, 27) STATE OF WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF ECOLOGY
- 820 (2016-310 July 13, 20, 27) SUPERIOR COURT, STATE OF WASHINGTON, COUNTY OF SPOKANE
- 320 (2016-317 July 27, Aug. 3) OMAK SCHOOL DISTRICT SURPLUS SALE
- 820 (2016-320 July 27) LEGAL NOTICE
- 820 (2016-323 July 20, 27, Aug. 3) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-328 July 20, 27, Aug. 3) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND
- 820 (2016-330 July 27, Aug. 3, 10) SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR
- 820 (2016-331 July 27, Aug. 3) INVITATION FOR RE-BIDS
2016 Molson Mid-Summer Festival
Here's a clip of the annual Molson Mid-Summer Festival, June 18, 2016. Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge