Wednesday, December 25, 2013
GRAND COULEE The U.S. Bureau of Reclamation continues to investigate a fire last month at Grand Coulee Dam and is working to get the John W. Keys III Pump Generating Plant back up and operating.
Work is under way to return the facility to full operation for the 2014 irrigation season. All six pumping units are expected to be working by March 1.
Grand Coulee resident Daniel McCulloch, 53, received burns in the Nov. 18 fire. He continues treatment at Harborview Medical Center, Seattle.
Another worker, Electric City resident Thomas Leitner, 54, was treated and released that day.
An initial investigation blamed the fire on a failure in the plant’s switch gear. The switch allows the plant to pump water from Lake Roosevelt into Banks Lake for irrigation or use that water to generate electricity.
The plant is in its off season, so was doing neither function, Bureau of Reclamation spokeswoman Lynne Brougher said. Maintenance on the plant’s nine units was under way.
The pumping plant sustained fire and smoke damage. Overall dam operations were not affected.
The agency’s Serious Incident Review Team is assessing the damage and investigating the fire. Results of their findings are expected in late January.
A cleanup manager has been appointed and an in-house cleanup crew has been in the plant since Dec. 6. Nine temporary employees have been hired to work on the cleanup.
Cleanup will be focused on the floor where the pumps are located and in the plant where Reclamation’s emergency service personnel are housed.
All units in the plant were contaminated to some extent by smoke residue and other potentially hazardous materials.
Repair costs haven’t been determined.
More like this story
- 820 (2016-438 Nov. 23, Dec. 7) NOTICE OF TRUSTEE’S SALE PURSUANT TO THE REVISED CODE
- 820 (2016-439 Nov. 23, Dec. 7) NOTICE OF TRUSTEE’S SALE PURSUANT TO THE REVISED CODE OF
- 820 (2016-444 Nov. 9, 16, 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2016-446 Nov. 16, 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR
- 820 (2016-456 Nov. 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2016-466 Nov. 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-472 Nov. 30, Dec. 7) NORTH CENTRAL REGIONAL LIBRARY NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 820 (2016-473 Dec. 7, 14) Notice of Impact Aid Public Hearing
- 820 (2016-474 Dec. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-475 Dec. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
Chronicle News Broadcast for Oct. 19, 2016
An Oroville woman injured in car wreck near Crumbacher, Omak house damaged by fire, thousands expected to attend Okanogan Family (Barter) Faire, Natalie Carrier talks about the Omak Zombie Fun Run, a look at your weekend weather forecast, and weekly sports report. Enlarge