Tuesday, December 24, 2013
MALOTT Sudden snow showers and below-freezing temperatures in south Okanogan County resulted in multiple collisions Monday afternoon on the same stretch of U.S. Highway 97.
The first call was shortly before 4:30 p.m. A woman driving a truck southbound attempted to pass another vehicle and lost control, a Washington State Patrol report said. Her truck overturned and came to rest on its side on the southbound shoulder. The driver was temporarily trapped in her vehicle.
“She hit this patch of snow and ice and lost control, started rotating and flipped and hit the top of the hillside there,” Washington State Patrol Sgt. Clint Thomas said.
He declined to release the woman’s name at the scene of the crash.
The woman was cited for driving too fast for the conditions.
There were a couple collisions near where the woman crashed, but they were “pretty minor,” such as cars skidding into ditches, Thomas said.
No serious injuries were reported, and there was one complaint of a sore arm, he said.
“They were pretty fortunate,” Thomas said. “Down here, it came below freezing pretty quickly. I think it caught people off guard.”
A tow truck showed up to take away the woman’s vehicle at around 5:30 p.m., after ambulances and the other crashed vehicles had cleared the scene.
Thomas issued a warning to drivers to be more cautious.
“Be aware when it’s getting colder and you see ice and slush on the ground. Be careful,” he said.
More like this story
- 810 (2015-472 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) City of Omak
- 810 (2015-562 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) INVITATION TO BID
- 810 (2015-613 Nov. 18, 25) At the regular council meeting of November 10, 2015
- 810 (2015-626 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) Notice is hereby given that the Town of Riverside, Washington
- 810 (2015-627 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) A public meeting for the 2016 Budget
- 810 (2015-628 Nov. 25) NOTICE OF ORDINANCE PASSED BY THE OKANOGAN CITY COUNCIL
- 810 (2015-629 Nov. 25) CITY OF OKANOGAN NOTICE OF STREET CLOSURE NOTICE
- 810 (2015-630 Nov. 25) SUMMARY OF RESOLUTION No. 39-2015 OF THE City of Omak, Washington.
- 810 (2015-632 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 820 (2015-612 Nov. 18, 25, Dec. 2) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON