Tuesday, December 24, 2013
MALOTT Sudden snow showers and below-freezing temperatures in south Okanogan County resulted in multiple collisions Monday afternoon on the same stretch of U.S. Highway 97.
The first call was shortly before 4:30 p.m. A woman driving a truck southbound attempted to pass another vehicle and lost control, a Washington State Patrol report said. Her truck overturned and came to rest on its side on the southbound shoulder. The driver was temporarily trapped in her vehicle.
“She hit this patch of snow and ice and lost control, started rotating and flipped and hit the top of the hillside there,” Washington State Patrol Sgt. Clint Thomas said.
He declined to release the woman’s name at the scene of the crash.
The woman was cited for driving too fast for the conditions.
There were a couple collisions near where the woman crashed, but they were “pretty minor,” such as cars skidding into ditches, Thomas said.
No serious injuries were reported, and there was one complaint of a sore arm, he said.
“They were pretty fortunate,” Thomas said. “Down here, it came below freezing pretty quickly. I think it caught people off guard.”
A tow truck showed up to take away the woman’s vehicle at around 5:30 p.m., after ambulances and the other crashed vehicles had cleared the scene.
Thomas issued a warning to drivers to be more cautious.
“Be aware when it’s getting colder and you see ice and slush on the ground. Be careful,” he said.
More like this story
- Donations sought for Wellpinit fire victims
- Pickens North wildfire reaches 600 acres
- Crews work to line Pickens North fire
- 820 (2016-349 Aug. 24, 31) CALL for BIDS-BID No. 418-16
- Opening arguments start in Alltus murder case
- 810 (2016-346 Aug. 17, 24) NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS
- (2016-336 Aug. 10, 17, 24) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-347 Aug. 24)Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority
- 820 (2016-348 Aug. 24) Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority Board
- Meteorologists issue red flag warning
Live wildfire coverage
Pickens Mountain fire near Split Rock Road in Havillah. Footage filmed live on location 8/24/16 Enlarge