Sunday, December 22, 2013
OMAK Operating under the belief that God will provide, the Manna Ministry of Cornerstone Christian Fellowship offers free food most Wednesdays in the church parking lot, 328 Riverside Drive.
Volunteers say they plan to be out Christmas and New Year’s days, depending on what donations come in.
We give to anyone who is humble enough to come and say they need help.
- Lorynda Guerrette
Distributions start at 9 a.m. and continue until the food runs out, the Rev. Mike McCune said.
“We distribute what we receive,” he said.
The church doesn’t solicit donations, but they do come in from the community, the volunteers said. Donations can be arranged by contacting the church.
Unlike most items given by food banks, much of Manna Ministry’s food is perishable.
On one recent Wednesday, Dahlia Guerrette, Al Guerrette, McCune, and Bill and Cheryl Taft gave out frozen hash browns, french fries, mashed potato flakes and refried beans.
Sometimes there’s fresh fruit. Other times there’s bread.
“There’s little rhyme or reason,” McCune said.
The four-year-old project is coordinated by Lorynda Guerrette.
“We distribute whatever we’re given,” she said.
Several anonymous donors regularly give to the program.
About 40 people visit on a regular basis, and new ones come every week, she said.
“Some have hit a rough patch or just can’t make ends meet,” she said.
Some have lost jobs, while others work but just can’t stretch their food dollars far enough.
There’s no requirement to prove need or any other criteria.
“We give to anyone who is humble enough to come and say they need help,” Guerrette said.
The program has expanded to Tonasket, where Guerrete’s mother, Lurene Yost, sets up a similar distribution spot at 9 a.m. Wednesdays at the Exxon station, 606 Whitcomb Ave.
She serves people from Tonasket, Oroville, Tunk Valley and Republic.
More like this story
- Play-in basketball games slated for tonight
- Bail set for Piturachsatit
- Candidates speak at Lincoln Day dinner
- Lake Roosevelt Elementary assistant principal arrested
- 800 (2016-029 Jan. 27, Feb. 3) NOTICE OF CALL FOR BIDS
- 800 (2016-042 Feb. 3) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 800 (2016-044 Feb. 3, 10) PUBLIC NOTICE OKANOGAN COUNTY SMALL WORKS ROSTER
- 800 (2016-047 Feb. 3) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 800 (2016-048 Feb. 3) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 800 (2016-049 Feb. 3) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision