Wednesday, December 18, 2013
OMAK Dreaming of a white Christmas?
It may be only a wish this year since only a small winter front is expected to move through North-Central Washington between now and Dec. 25.
"It looks like Friday will be your best bet," meteorologist Steven Van Horn said Wednesday from the National Weather Service station in Spokane. "We are forecasting a little bit of snow, may an inch or so to an inch-and-a-half. That's about it."
By Christmas day last year, about 24 inches of snow had fallen in the Conconully area, Weather Service statistics show. Omak-specific data was unavailable.
The last time the Omak-area had a Christmas without snow was 2002, the Weather Service reported.
But even if it snows Friday, a white holiday may only be something on your Christmas wish list as warmer temperatures are expected over the weekend, the Van Horn said. Highs Sunday and Monday are expected to be in the low- to mid-30s.
Outside the Okanogan Valley, there's a better chance of having a white Christmas.
According to the National Weather Service forecast, "snow will be the dominate weather-type Friday."
Snow is expected to accumulate along the Cascades and the northeast and southeast portions of the state, the Weather Service said. But here in North-Central Washington, the chance for snow is "lowest from the Okanogan Valley southward..."
More like this story
- PUD to decide yay or nay on Enloe
- County has cash flow problem
- Tonasket wants to annex land south of town
- Drug bust lands eight people in jail
- Okanogan school levy falling short of 60 percent
- 800 (2016-173 April 27, May 4) Notice of Public Hearing
- 800 (2016-175 April 27) Mooney SP 2016-2 Application and SEPA Exemption
- 800 (2016-176 April 27) Jackass SP 2016-1 Application and SEPA Exemption
- 800 (2016-177 April 27) Yakama Nation Twisp Ponds Project, SEPA 2016-1 Final SEPA Determination
- 800 (2016-178 April 27) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
Reclamation officials talk about Conconully Lake Resort
Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge