Wednesday, December 18, 2013
OMAK Dreaming of a white Christmas?
It may be only a wish this year since only a small winter front is expected to move through North-Central Washington between now and Dec. 25.
"It looks like Friday will be your best bet," meteorologist Steven Van Horn said Wednesday from the National Weather Service station in Spokane. "We are forecasting a little bit of snow, may an inch or so to an inch-and-a-half. That's about it."
By Christmas day last year, about 24 inches of snow had fallen in the Conconully area, Weather Service statistics show. Omak-specific data was unavailable.
The last time the Omak-area had a Christmas without snow was 2002, the Weather Service reported.
But even if it snows Friday, a white holiday may only be something on your Christmas wish list as warmer temperatures are expected over the weekend, the Van Horn said. Highs Sunday and Monday are expected to be in the low- to mid-30s.
Outside the Okanogan Valley, there's a better chance of having a white Christmas.
According to the National Weather Service forecast, "snow will be the dominate weather-type Friday."
Snow is expected to accumulate along the Cascades and the northeast and southeast portions of the state, the Weather Service said. But here in North-Central Washington, the chance for snow is "lowest from the Okanogan Valley southward..."
More like this story
- Football scores: Three teams stay undefeated
- DNR dropping fire danger rating in Ferry County
- Three of five bears in tree relocated
- PUD sued over new power line
- Suspect charged in Knowlton’s death
- ‘Flash Float’ raises river access awareness
- Bail remains at $750,000 for shooting suspect
- 810 (2016-374 Sept. 21) CITY OF OMAK REQUEST FOR 2017 HOTEL/MOTEL TAX FUNDS
- 820 (2016-368 Sept. 14, 21, 28, Oct. 5, 12, 19) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT
- 820 (2016-372 Sept. 21, 28, Oct. 5, 12) IN THE TRIBAL COURT OF THE CONFEDERATED TRIBES OF THE
Chronicle News Broadcast for Sept. 21, 2016
Five bears reported in Omak tree, flash mob takes to the Okanogan River, suspect charged with vehicular homicide, and weekly football scores. Enlarge