Wednesday, December 18, 2013
TONASKET A meeting of the minds took place Monday night as various leaders and elected officials gathered to discuss issues affecting their community.
The Tonasket School District, which is in the process of putting a bond and levy to the voters in February, organized the meeting, which featured representatives from the school board, Hospital District No. 4, local fire districts, the city, county commissioners and 7th District Rep. Joel Kretz and Sen. Brian Dansel.
The idea was that better communication among the different municipal groups could lead to a better community, as a whole.
The school district is seeking a $6 million capital improvement bond and a $1.64 million maintenance and operations levy.
If both were approved by voters, the net increase in taxes would be 71 cents per $1,000 of assessed valuation.
Taxpayers are currently paying $4.26 per $1,000 on the school’s bond that is set to expire this month; the new bond and levy would cost $4.97 per $1,000.
With the upcoming legislative session on the horizon, Kretz said the governor’s proposed transportation tax will be one of the big issues.
Kretz said he is staunchly opposed to the transportation tax, particularly at a time when so many municipalities are struggling to do more with less funding.
Other topics during the discussion included the need for infrastructure improvements within the city.
Kretz said he worries that many towns in the 7th District will all have infrastructure needs all at the same time in the near future, since many systems were installed about the same time in the 1930s.
Mayor Patrick Plumb stressed the importance of shopping at local businesses, to keep tax revenue flowing into the city.
More like this story
- Fishing to open for hatchery steelhead, rainbows
- Federal help sought for fire recovery
- Legislator calls for fight against McCleary
- Family Faire wraps up today
- Friday football scores: Okanogan wins big
- 820 (2015-518, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-513 Oct. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-512 Oct. 7, 14) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-507 Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-503 Sept. 30, Oct. 7) NOTICE OF HEARING PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT NO. 1 OF OKANOGAN COUNTY 2016 PROPOSED BUDGET
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge