Wednesday, December 18, 2013
OMAK A four-person team of eighth-graders finished 10th in the master level Math is Cool competition in Moses Lake.
The team qualified during a regional competition in Spokane in November. No other teams from Okanogan or Ferry counties competed at the masters tournament, Omak coach Randy Langseth said.
“Competitors came from all around the state, so the competition was really tough,” Langseth said.
Omak’s top individuals at the Spokane competition were eighth-grader Gideon Bolton and seventh-grader Bradon Maple. The seventh-grade team did not qualify for the masters competition.
In the masters competition, the eighth-grade team earned 63 points. St. Bernadette Catholic School, in Seattle, placed first at 113.
Other Eastern Washington masters competitors were Ephrata, sixth, 87; Freeman, seventh, 82.5; Quincy, eighth, 80.5; The Oaks, Spokane, ninth, 67; Royal, 11th, 55.5, and Kettle Falls, 12th, 50.
The masters competition had three divisions for each grade level, elite and divisions I and II. Omak was a division II competitor.
Han Pfung was Omak’s highest-placing individual, placing 47th out of 119 with a score of 40 in the algebra I category.
Everyone competed for the individual and mental math scores, and then collectively competed in team competitions such as college bowl, pressure round, team test and multiple-choice test, Langseth said.
More like this story
- Weather brings school delays, closures
- McDonald's plans to introduce new ‘Big Mac' sizes
- Forever stamp prices increase Sunday
- More wet weather in the forecast
- Some after school activities, sports cancelled
- Storm prompts clinic cancelations
- Winter storm brings school delays, closures
- 810 (2017-009 Jan. 11, 18) REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS (RFQ) AIRPORT MASTER PLAN
- 810 (2017-012 Jan. 18) Notice of Public Hearing
- 810 (2017-016 Jan. 18) Notice of Public Hearing Micro Processing/Manufacturing OKA RA 16-1
Chronicle News Broadcast for Oct. 19, 2016
An Oroville woman injured in car wreck near Crumbacher, Omak house damaged by fire, thousands expected to attend Okanogan Family (Barter) Faire, Natalie Carrier talks about the Omak Zombie Fun Run, a look at your weekend weather forecast, and weekly sports report. Enlarge