Wednesday, December 18, 2013
OMAK A four-person team of eighth-graders finished 10th in the master level Math is Cool competition in Moses Lake.
The team qualified during a regional competition in Spokane in November. No other teams from Okanogan or Ferry counties competed at the masters tournament, Omak coach Randy Langseth said.
“Competitors came from all around the state, so the competition was really tough,” Langseth said.
Omak’s top individuals at the Spokane competition were eighth-grader Gideon Bolton and seventh-grader Bradon Maple. The seventh-grade team did not qualify for the masters competition.
In the masters competition, the eighth-grade team earned 63 points. St. Bernadette Catholic School, in Seattle, placed first at 113.
Other Eastern Washington masters competitors were Ephrata, sixth, 87; Freeman, seventh, 82.5; Quincy, eighth, 80.5; The Oaks, Spokane, ninth, 67; Royal, 11th, 55.5, and Kettle Falls, 12th, 50.
The masters competition had three divisions for each grade level, elite and divisions I and II. Omak was a division II competitor.
Han Pfung was Omak’s highest-placing individual, placing 47th out of 119 with a score of 40 in the algebra I category.
Everyone competed for the individual and mental math scores, and then collectively competed in team competitions such as college bowl, pressure round, team test and multiple-choice test, Langseth said.
More like this story
- Donations sought for Wellpinit fire victims
- Pickens North wildfire reaches 600 acres
- Crews work to line Pickens North fire
- 820 (2016-349 Aug. 24, 31) CALL for BIDS-BID No. 418-16
- Opening arguments start in Alltus murder case
- 810 (2016-346 Aug. 17, 24) NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS
- (2016-336 Aug. 10, 17, 24) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-347 Aug. 24)Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority
- 820 (2016-348 Aug. 24) Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority Board
- Meteorologists issue red flag warning
Live wildfire coverage
Pickens Mountain fire near Split Rock Road in Havillah. Footage filmed live on location 8/24/16 Enlarge