Wednesday, December 18, 2013
OMAK A four-person team of eighth-graders finished 10th in the master level Math is Cool competition in Moses Lake.
The team qualified during a regional competition in Spokane in November. No other teams from Okanogan or Ferry counties competed at the masters tournament, Omak coach Randy Langseth said.
“Competitors came from all around the state, so the competition was really tough,” Langseth said.
Omak’s top individuals at the Spokane competition were eighth-grader Gideon Bolton and seventh-grader Bradon Maple. The seventh-grade team did not qualify for the masters competition.
In the masters competition, the eighth-grade team earned 63 points. St. Bernadette Catholic School, in Seattle, placed first at 113.
Other Eastern Washington masters competitors were Ephrata, sixth, 87; Freeman, seventh, 82.5; Quincy, eighth, 80.5; The Oaks, Spokane, ninth, 67; Royal, 11th, 55.5, and Kettle Falls, 12th, 50.
The masters competition had three divisions for each grade level, elite and divisions I and II. Omak was a division II competitor.
Han Pfung was Omak’s highest-placing individual, placing 47th out of 119 with a score of 40 in the algebra I category.
Everyone competed for the individual and mental math scores, and then collectively competed in team competitions such as college bowl, pressure round, team test and multiple-choice test, Langseth said.
More like this story
- 49 state patrol troopers sworn in
- Omak bond measure failing in initial returns
- 810 (2017-105 April 26) CITY OF OKANOGAN, WASHINGTON ORDINANCE NO. 1175
- 810 (2017-106 April 26) Notice of Application
- 820 (2017-092 April 19, 26) The Colville Tribal Correctional Facility (CTCF) is issuing a Request
- 820 (2017-093 April 19, 26) The Colville Tribal Correctional Facility (CTCF) is issuing a Request
- 820 (2017-094 April 19, 26) The Colville Tribal Correctional Facility (CTCF) is issuing a Request
- 820 (2017-097 April 19, 26, May 3) NOTICE TO CREDITORS
- 820 (2017-098 April 19, 26) CALL FOR BIDS.
- 820 (2017-102 April 26) The Town of Riverside is seeking applications for Town Council Position No.1.