Sunday, December 15, 2013
OMAK The city is expected to approve its 2014 budget at Monday’s City Council meeting, which will begin at 7 p.m. at City Hall, 2 N. Ash St.
Compared to last year’s contentious and challenging budget process, this year has been smooth sailing so far, City Administrator Ralph Malone said.
The city has hosted two workshops and a hearing for public comment, with almost nobody from the public in attendance.
The city’s budget outlook has improved from last year, when Omak had to eliminate two police positions.
Omak has received an increase in sales tax revenue of about $90,000, largely due to the sewer renovation project and construction projects, such as Family Health Center and Regency Omak.
That added revenue will help fund capital improvement projects, such as replacing the fire chief’s 13-year-old command vehicle and two police vehicles. The budget would also allow for another police vehicle to be repainted and several computers to be replaced.
The city has estimated revenue for the upcoming year to be about $3.44 million, while expenditures are estimated at about $3.78 million.
The city’s ending fund balance is projected to decrease from about $1.37 million to $1.03 million.
One omission from the budget is money allocated for mosquito abatement.
The city drew complaints in the summer about the fact that it didn’t spray for mosquitoes.
The current approach, Malone said, is toward the formation of a mosquito control district, which would include Omak.
More like this story
- Lightning sparks several small fires
- Results for the Tonasket Truck and Tractor Pull announced
- 820 (2016-322 July 20, 27) STATE OF WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF ECOLOGY
- 820 (2016-310 July 13, 20, 27) SUPERIOR COURT, STATE OF WASHINGTON, COUNTY OF SPOKANE
- 320 (2016-317 July 27, Aug. 3) OMAK SCHOOL DISTRICT SURPLUS SALE
- 820 (2016-320 July 27) LEGAL NOTICE
- 820 (2016-323 July 20, 27, Aug. 3) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-328 July 20, 27, Aug. 3) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND
- 820 (2016-330 July 27, Aug. 3, 10) SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR
- 820 (2016-331 July 27, Aug. 3) INVITATION FOR RE-BIDS
2016 Molson Mid-Summer Festival
Here's a clip of the annual Molson Mid-Summer Festival, June 18, 2016. Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge