Friday, December 13, 2013
SEATTLE If you like voting for athletes, consider the nominees for the 79th annual MTR Western Sports Star of the Year.
The possible stars, announced Thursday by the Seattle Sports Commission, is a collection of the Northwest’s premier athletes.
Every January, this event honors the athletes, coaches, media figures and stories in or from Washington state for their achievements during the previous year.
Since its creation in 1936, there have been nearly 100 Sports Stars honored at this event.
Fans can vote for their favorite nominee in the male, female and sports story of the year categories online at www.sportsstaroftheyear.org.
Voting continues through Jan. 15, 2014.
Winners will be announced during the event Jan. 22.
Female nominees include Joan Bonvicini (Seattle University women’s basketball head coach), Krista Vansant (UW volleyball), Marti Malloy (USA judo), Melissa Arnot (record holding Mountaineer), Micaela Castain (WSU soccer) and Tina Thompson (Storm basketball).
Male nominees include Bishop Sankey (UW football), DeAndre Yedlin (Sounders FC), Hisashi Iwakuma (Mariners pitcher), John Lester (Red Sox pitcher), Russell Wilson (Seahawks quarterback) and UW men’s soccer.
Story nominees include Eastlake Little League, Husky Stadium, UW volleyball, UW crew, Seahawks run and Seattle University men’s and women’s soccer.
More like this story
- Donations sought for Wellpinit fire victims
- Pickens North wildfire reaches 600 acres
- Crews work to line Pickens North fire
- 820 (2016-349 Aug. 24, 31) CALL for BIDS-BID No. 418-16
- Opening arguments start in Alltus murder case
- 810 (2016-346 Aug. 17, 24) NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS
- (2016-336 Aug. 10, 17, 24) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-347 Aug. 24)Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority
- 820 (2016-348 Aug. 24) Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority Board
- Meteorologists issue red flag warning
Live wildfire coverage
Pickens Mountain fire near Split Rock Road in Havillah. Footage filmed live on location 8/24/16 Enlarge