Friday, December 13, 2013
SEATTLE If you like voting for athletes, consider the nominees for the 79th annual MTR Western Sports Star of the Year.
The possible stars, announced Thursday by the Seattle Sports Commission, is a collection of the Northwest’s premier athletes.
Every January, this event honors the athletes, coaches, media figures and stories in or from Washington state for their achievements during the previous year.
Since its creation in 1936, there have been nearly 100 Sports Stars honored at this event.
Fans can vote for their favorite nominee in the male, female and sports story of the year categories online at www.sportsstaroftheyear.org.
Voting continues through Jan. 15, 2014.
Winners will be announced during the event Jan. 22.
Female nominees include Joan Bonvicini (Seattle University women’s basketball head coach), Krista Vansant (UW volleyball), Marti Malloy (USA judo), Melissa Arnot (record holding Mountaineer), Micaela Castain (WSU soccer) and Tina Thompson (Storm basketball).
Male nominees include Bishop Sankey (UW football), DeAndre Yedlin (Sounders FC), Hisashi Iwakuma (Mariners pitcher), John Lester (Red Sox pitcher), Russell Wilson (Seahawks quarterback) and UW men’s soccer.
Story nominees include Eastlake Little League, Husky Stadium, UW volleyball, UW crew, Seahawks run and Seattle University men’s and women’s soccer.
More like this story
- Court denies ATV case review
- Three Devils case heads to appeals court
- Holiday Twinkies recalled
- 810 (2017-009 Jan. 11, 18) REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS (RFQ)
- 820 (2017-001 Jan. 4, 11)
- 820 (2017-006 Jan. 11) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2017-007 Jan. 11) SMALL WORKS APPLICATIONS
- 820 (2017-008 Jan. 11, 18) Okanogan County Dept. of Public Works NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- Burn ban issued for Okanogan, Stevens counties
- Pearl Jam donates $25,000 to Rail Trail
Chronicle News Broadcast for Oct. 19, 2016
An Oroville woman injured in car wreck near Crumbacher, Omak house damaged by fire, thousands expected to attend Okanogan Family (Barter) Faire, Natalie Carrier talks about the Omak Zombie Fun Run, a look at your weekend weather forecast, and weekly sports report. Enlarge