Thursday, December 12, 2013
BREWSTER As other communities bustled with holiday events over the weekend, two American Legion posts observed a more somber occasion Saturday: the 72nd anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack.
Several Legion members from Post 97 in Brewster and Post 218 in Bridgeport hosted an annual ritual that involved some readings and officially retiring three worn, well-used American flags.
The ceremony is a tradition spanning at least 30 years, according to Chaplain Mike Saint.
“As long as I’ve been a member,” he said.
The veterans placed a wreath in front of the memorial outside of the Legion Hall, 102 N. Third St., and performed a gun salute.
District 9 Commander Denny Pittman played “Taps” on the trumpet while the Honor Guard, including World War II veteran Walt Peckham of Bridgeport, saluted the half-mast flags.
The flags were quietly burned in a retirement ceremony behind the hall.
Other participants included Gale Nilsen, Ray Davis, George Pearson, Neil Jacobson, Sherilyn Jacobson and Lee Wood.
More like this story
- Okanogan returns to state 2B title game
- 810 (2015-472 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) City of Omak
- 810 (2015-562 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) INVITATION TO BID
- 810 (2015-613 Nov. 18, 25) At the regular council meeting of November 10, 2015
- 810 (2015-626 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) Notice is hereby given that the Town of Riverside, Washington
- 810 (2015-627 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) A public meeting for the 2016 Budget
- 810 (2015-628 Nov. 25) NOTICE OF ORDINANCE PASSED BY THE OKANOGAN CITY COUNCIL
- 810 (2015-629 Nov. 25) CITY OF OKANOGAN NOTICE OF STREET CLOSURE NOTICE
- 810 (2015-630 Nov. 25) SUMMARY OF RESOLUTION No. 39-2015 OF THE City of Omak, Washington.
- 810 (2015-632 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING