Wednesday, December 11, 2013
RIVERSIDE The town will celebrate the 100-year anniversary of its incorporation Saturday with a variety of activities at the Mount Olive Grange Hall.
The centennial event will be from 1-6 p.m., with dinner being served at 4 p.m.
Mayor Margie Mefford said the Grange Hall, 317 N. Main St., is a perfect place for the event because it’s been a central gathering point in Riverside for so many years.
Town Clerk Sharma Dickinson said she’s hoping about 200 people will pass through the event.
“There’s a lot of people that are very interested in coming,” she said.
During the celebration, there will be a slideshow of historical photos from the town’s history, which even predates its Dec. 22, 1913, incorporation. Current and former residents are invited to bring in their historical items.
Fire District No. 7 is preparing the dinner, which is by donation. Proceeds will go toward purchasing new headsets for the fire engine.
City officials will also be opening a time capsule that Dickinson said was supposed to be opened 20 years ago. New items will be added and it will be put back to rest at a later date.
“Every time I go somewhere to visit, I think about where I’d like to live and I keep coming back to Riverside,” Mefford said.
Dickinson said the community’s involvement throughout the past hundred years is one thing that has stuck out to her as she’s gathered items for the slideshow.
“I love Riverside and I love the community,” she said. “It’s been a very strong community for a hundred years and I see us going strong for another hundred years.”
More like this story
- Former Tonasket coach found not guilty
- Helispot will be set up for Diamond Creek Fire
- Brewster preps for championship with win over Okanogan
- Landowners file suit over Carlton Complex fire
- Pasayten fire confinement boundaries scoped
- 'Mad Dog’ Mattis visits tavern in Prosser
- Fire danger rating rises in northeast Washington
- State changes Chinook salmon rule
- Diamond fire grows to 350 acres
- Grand opening planned for Tonasket swimming pool