Wednesday, December 11, 2013
OMAK A Christmas festival, with a parade, caroling, food and reading of the biblical Christmas story, is planned Saturday afternoon and evening on Main Street.
Children can meet Santa and Mrs. Claus from 2-4 p.m. at Santa’s House at the former Ulrich Pharmacy building, 27 N. Main St.
Photos with Santa will be available, baked goods will be offered for sale and the Omak High School Key Club will offer hot chocolate and cookies.
The action moves outside onto Main Street at 4:30 p.m. for the Twilight Christmas Parade with the theme “Let it Snow,” parade chairwoman Jodi Coggins said.
Parade staging will be on Okoma Drive at Sixth Avenue, with the procession heading north onto Fourth Avenue and then Main Street. It will disband at Fourth Avenue and South Ash Street.
Entries that include only walkers can stage in front of Sears.
Lights are encouraged on all entries. The parade committee suggests vehicle headlights be covered with colored cellophane. Complete rules are available at City Hall, 2 N. Ash St.
Santa’s appearance will be arranged by the Omak Chamber of Commerce, which asks those entering not to include Santa on their entries.
Candy and brochures must be handed out by walkers and not thrown from vehicles. Organizers ask that hard candy not be given out.
After the parade, Santa will hear children’s wishes again from 5:30-7 p.m. in the former Ulrich’s building. Food will be available and children’s craft projects are planned.
One block of Main Street, from Central Avenue to Apple Avenue, will remain closed for two hours after the parade for the Christmas festival.
“This is a new event,” organizer Peter Steffen said.
Special lighting and music are planned, including a group of seven carolers in Victorian period costumes and the Okanogan community brass band in Salvation Army-style costumes.
Sing-along caroling is planned at 6:30 p.m. around the outdoor Christmas tree, Steffen said.
The Christmas story will be read afterward.
Vera Zachow, another event organizer, said a fireworks show is planned.
Warming fires will be available.
More like this story
- 810 (2016-353 Aug. 31) The Omak fire Department
- 820 (2016-354 Aug. 31) NOTICE OF APPLICATION AND ISSUANCE OF A DNS UNDER SEPA
- 820 (2016-349 Aug. 24, 31) CALL for BIDS BID No. 418-16
- 820 (2016-350 Aug. 31, Sept. 7, 14) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN
- 820 (2016-351 Aug. 31, Sept. 7) REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
- 820 (2016-352 Aug. 31, Sept. 7) Request for Proposal (RFP) and Scope of Work (SOW) Environmental
- Donations sought for Wellpinit fire victims
- Pickens North wildfire reaches 600 acres
- Crews work to line Pickens North fire
- 820 (2016-349 Aug. 24, 31) CALL for BIDS-BID No. 418-16
Live wildfire coverage
Pickens Mountain fire near Split Rock Road in Havillah. Footage filmed live on location 8/24/16 Enlarge