Sunday, December 8, 2013
OMAK The local Elks Lodge is in the process of getting bids for cleaning and repair work.
It had smoke, water and electrical damage to its 110 S. Ash St. building during a Nov. 20 fire.
At this point, “I don’t have the slightest idea” what the cost of the damage will be, Exalted Ruler Sandy Smith said.
Stan Carter is working as the general contractor on the repair project.
“We’ve just kind of let him take over and the board and the trustees will sit down” to decide which company to hire for the different rebuilding aspects.
Carter said the main focus so far has been getting the building sealed up to prevent any further damage due to rain, snow or freezing temperatures.
“In a situation like this, there’s a great deal of preliminary work before any of the reconstruction can be done,” Carter said.
The furnaces have been kept running to keep the building above freezing and a “temporary envelope” has been created anywhere snow and water might be able to seep in, Carter said.
Smith said there is no time frame for when the building might be able to reopen, but he doesn’t expect it to happen soon.
Omak Fire Chief Kevin Bowling said the cause of the fire, which occurred at 4:39 a.m. Nov. 20, has not been determined. The early morning blaze destroyed an electrical room on the south side of the building and a staircase that had been put in just two days prior.
The fire did spread to the food service elevator and cause some interior damage to the main building. The building suffered smoke and water damage throughout the south portion.
The building was insured, but the fire happened at a busy time for the Elks, with holiday banquets that had to be moved.
More like this story
- 49 state patrol troopers sworn in
- Omak bond measure failing in initial returns
- 810 (2017-105 April 26) CITY OF OKANOGAN, WASHINGTON ORDINANCE NO. 1175
- 810 (2017-106 April 26) Notice of Application
- 820 (2017-092 April 19, 26) The Colville Tribal Correctional Facility (CTCF) is issuing a Request
- 820 (2017-093 April 19, 26) The Colville Tribal Correctional Facility (CTCF) is issuing a Request
- 820 (2017-094 April 19, 26) The Colville Tribal Correctional Facility (CTCF) is issuing a Request
- 820 (2017-097 April 19, 26, May 3) NOTICE TO CREDITORS
- 820 (2017-098 April 19, 26) CALL FOR BIDS.
- 820 (2017-102 April 26) The Town of Riverside is seeking applications for Town Council Position No.1.