Sunday, December 8, 2013
OMAK The local Elks Lodge is in the process of getting bids for cleaning and repair work.
It had smoke, water and electrical damage to its 110 S. Ash St. building during a Nov. 20 fire.
At this point, “I don’t have the slightest idea” what the cost of the damage will be, Exalted Ruler Sandy Smith said.
Stan Carter is working as the general contractor on the repair project.
“We’ve just kind of let him take over and the board and the trustees will sit down” to decide which company to hire for the different rebuilding aspects.
Carter said the main focus so far has been getting the building sealed up to prevent any further damage due to rain, snow or freezing temperatures.
“In a situation like this, there’s a great deal of preliminary work before any of the reconstruction can be done,” Carter said.
The furnaces have been kept running to keep the building above freezing and a “temporary envelope” has been created anywhere snow and water might be able to seep in, Carter said.
Smith said there is no time frame for when the building might be able to reopen, but he doesn’t expect it to happen soon.
Omak Fire Chief Kevin Bowling said the cause of the fire, which occurred at 4:39 a.m. Nov. 20, has not been determined. The early morning blaze destroyed an electrical room on the south side of the building and a staircase that had been put in just two days prior.
The fire did spread to the food service elevator and cause some interior damage to the main building. The building suffered smoke and water damage throughout the south portion.
The building was insured, but the fire happened at a busy time for the Elks, with holiday banquets that had to be moved.
More like this story
- Business Council Chairman Boyd has died
- Do-it-yourself fireworks show in limbo
- Small fires, smoke checks reported
- Colville Tribal election returns too close to call
- Okanogan County ATV ordinance ruled invalid
- New wolf pack confirmed in Ferry County
- Safe 'n' Sane fireworks allowed in part of Omak
- 800 (2016-259 June 15, 22) Superior Court Clerk is requesting proposals
- 800 (2016-262 June 22) Notice of Primary Election
- 800 (2016-266 June 15, 22, 29, July 6, 13, 20) SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON,
2016 Molson Mid-Summer Festival
Here's a clip of the annual Molson Mid-Summer Festival, June 18, 2016. Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge