Sunday, December 8, 2013
OMAK The local Elks Lodge is in the process of getting bids for cleaning and repair work.
It had smoke, water and electrical damage to its 110 S. Ash St. building during a Nov. 20 fire.
At this point, “I don’t have the slightest idea” what the cost of the damage will be, Exalted Ruler Sandy Smith said.
Stan Carter is working as the general contractor on the repair project.
“We’ve just kind of let him take over and the board and the trustees will sit down” to decide which company to hire for the different rebuilding aspects.
Carter said the main focus so far has been getting the building sealed up to prevent any further damage due to rain, snow or freezing temperatures.
“In a situation like this, there’s a great deal of preliminary work before any of the reconstruction can be done,” Carter said.
The furnaces have been kept running to keep the building above freezing and a “temporary envelope” has been created anywhere snow and water might be able to seep in, Carter said.
Smith said there is no time frame for when the building might be able to reopen, but he doesn’t expect it to happen soon.
Omak Fire Chief Kevin Bowling said the cause of the fire, which occurred at 4:39 a.m. Nov. 20, has not been determined. The early morning blaze destroyed an electrical room on the south side of the building and a staircase that had been put in just two days prior.
The fire did spread to the food service elevator and cause some interior damage to the main building. The building suffered smoke and water damage throughout the south portion.
The building was insured, but the fire happened at a busy time for the Elks, with holiday banquets that had to be moved.
More like this story
- 810 (2015-472 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) City of Omak
- 810 (2015-562 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) INVITATION TO BID
- 810 (2015-613 Nov. 18, 25) At the regular council meeting of November 10, 2015
- 810 (2015-626 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) Notice is hereby given that the Town of Riverside, Washington
- 810 (2015-627 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) A public meeting for the 2016 Budget
- 810 (2015-628 Nov. 25) NOTICE OF ORDINANCE PASSED BY THE OKANOGAN CITY COUNCIL
- 810 (2015-629 Nov. 25) CITY OF OKANOGAN NOTICE OF STREET CLOSURE NOTICE
- 810 (2015-630 Nov. 25) SUMMARY OF RESOLUTION No. 39-2015 OF THE City of Omak, Washington.
- 810 (2015-632 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 820 (2015-612 Nov. 18, 25, Dec. 2) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON