Thursday, December 5, 2013
OKANOGAN A traveling basketball team from Australia took on Okanogan High School teams Wednesday night.
Many on the team had no more than eight hours sleep during the previous two days that include 36 hours of flying. The team landed in San Francisco, Calif., before reaching Washington state, tour manager Evelyn Jacobs said.
The Kempsey Australia Spirit traveled from the coast of New South Wales, near the Pacific ocean about 152 miles north of Sydney.
Complete coverage and scores will appear in The Chronicle’s Sunday edition.
Following the games, the Spirit mingled with Okanogan players, took team photos and selfies before spending the night at players' homes.
The Spirit played Okanogan on its first stop of its tour. The Australians next play in Pendleton, Ore.
Other stops include Portland, Ore., Battle Ground, Shoreline and Bremerton before heading home Dec. 20.
More like this story
- Rotary NCW sports awards: Finalists announced
- Rotary Fish Derby: Arnold takes grand champion prize
- Museum opening Memorial Day weekend
- Lake Roosevelt to open for white sturgeon fishing
- State golf: Oroville's Jordyn Smith finishes 19th in state
- Horse racing will be at fair
- Salmon Creek closed between Spring Coulee and Danker Cut-off Road
- Keller Ferry out of service
- PUD honors employees
- 820 (2017-112 May 10, 17) ADVERTISEMENT FOR BIDS