Thursday, December 5, 2013
SPOKANE A former Spokane Indian Reservation resident was sentenced to 30 years in prison Wednesday following previous guilty verdicts on four sexual abuse of children charges.
Valentin Cardenas Gonzales, 75, formerly of Ford, will also face lifetime court supervision, should he be released from a federal prison, court orders from U.S. District Court Judge Thomas O. Rice show.
“I commend the efforts of the law enforcement officers with the Spokane Tribal Police Department and the Special Agents with the FBI who worked on this case,” said U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Washington Michael C. Ormsby. “Their tireless efforts resulted in the successful prosecution of Valentin Cardenas Gonzales and prevented the minor victims from any possibility of being re-victimization.
Gonzales faced several federal charges relating to his involvement with three minor children from the Spokane Indian Reservation, Ormsby said. He was found guilty in September on two counts of aggravated sexual abuse of a minor and two charges of abusive sexual contact with a minor.
“Prosecuting sexual abuse and sexual contact crimes are a priority for the United States Attorney’s Office in the Eastern District of Washington,” Ormsby said. “Today’s sentence plainly reflects the seriousness of these sorts of crimes.”
Should Gonzales be released from prison, he will be required to register as a sex offender and will be barred from traveling across or living on the Spokane reservation. Gonzales is not a tribal member.
More like this story
- 820 (2015-518, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-513 Oct. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-512 Oct. 7, 14) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-507 Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-503 Sept. 30, Oct. 7) NOTICE OF HEARING PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT NO. 1 OF OKANOGAN COUNTY 2016 PROPOSED BUDGET
- 820 (2015-490 Sept. 23, 30, Oct. 7) In The Superior Court Of The State Of Washington County of Chelan.
- 820 (2015-456 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-455 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Public Notice
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Town of Twisp Request for Statement of Qualifications
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge