Tuesday, December 3, 2013
MAZAMA North Cascades Highway is closed for the winter.
State Department of Transportation spokesman Jeff Adamson said Tuesday morning that crews evaluating the condition of the highway through Washington Pass were stopped by a snow slide 150 feet wide and 12 feet deep. More snow was cascading on two nearby chutes.
“The avalanche crew and folks from our Twisp shed were only able to get up as far as Liberty Bell Mountain and had to turn around and come back,” he said. “It’s not safe for anyone to try to go up there and clean up.”
About three feet of snow piled up in Washington Pass between Sunday and Monday morning, prompting Transportation to temporarily close the highway at 3 p.m. Sunday. The state elected to keep it closed overnight Sunday and Monday.
“I’m sure everybody was happy that it was open all the way through Thanksgiving,” Adamson said. “Typically, if it’s open past Thanksgiving, I’ll get telephone calls from people who own businesses up there who say, ‘Thanks for keeping it open.’”
Last year, the highway - also known as state Highway 20 - closed Nov. 20. The state typically reopens it in May after spending weeks clearing snow, but earlier this year it reopened April 16.
More like this story
- 820 (2016-438 Nov. 23, Dec. 7) NOTICE OF TRUSTEE’S SALE PURSUANT TO THE REVISED CODE
- 820 (2016-439 Nov. 23, Dec. 7) NOTICE OF TRUSTEE’S SALE PURSUANT TO THE REVISED CODE OF
- 820 (2016-444 Nov. 9, 16, 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2016-446 Nov. 16, 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR
- 820 (2016-456 Nov. 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2016-466 Nov. 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-472 Nov. 30, Dec. 7) NORTH CENTRAL REGIONAL LIBRARY NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 820 (2016-473 Dec. 7, 14) Notice of Impact Aid Public Hearing
- 820 (2016-474 Dec. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-475 Dec. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
Chronicle News Broadcast for Oct. 19, 2016
An Oroville woman injured in car wreck near Crumbacher, Omak house damaged by fire, thousands expected to attend Okanogan Family (Barter) Faire, Natalie Carrier talks about the Omak Zombie Fun Run, a look at your weekend weather forecast, and weekly sports report. Enlarge