Tuesday, December 3, 2013
MAZAMA North Cascades Highway is closed for the winter.
State Department of Transportation spokesman Jeff Adamson said Tuesday morning that crews evaluating the condition of the highway through Washington Pass were stopped by a snow slide 150 feet wide and 12 feet deep. More snow was cascading on two nearby chutes.
“The avalanche crew and folks from our Twisp shed were only able to get up as far as Liberty Bell Mountain and had to turn around and come back,” he said. “It’s not safe for anyone to try to go up there and clean up.”
About three feet of snow piled up in Washington Pass between Sunday and Monday morning, prompting Transportation to temporarily close the highway at 3 p.m. Sunday. The state elected to keep it closed overnight Sunday and Monday.
“I’m sure everybody was happy that it was open all the way through Thanksgiving,” Adamson said. “Typically, if it’s open past Thanksgiving, I’ll get telephone calls from people who own businesses up there who say, ‘Thanks for keeping it open.’”
Last year, the highway - also known as state Highway 20 - closed Nov. 20. The state typically reopens it in May after spending weeks clearing snow, but earlier this year it reopened April 16.
More like this story
- Business Council Chairman Boyd has died
- Do-it-yourself fireworks show in limbo
- Small fires, smoke checks reported
- Colville Tribal election returns too close to call
- Okanogan County ATV ordinance ruled invalid
- New wolf pack confirmed in Ferry County
- Safe 'n' Sane fireworks allowed in part of Omak
- 800 (2016-259 June 15, 22) Superior Court Clerk is requesting proposals
- 800 (2016-262 June 22) Notice of Primary Election
- 800 (2016-266 June 15, 22, 29, July 6, 13, 20) SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON,
2016 Molson Mid-Summer Festival
Here's a clip of the annual Molson Mid-Summer Festival, June 18, 2016. Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge