Sunday, December 1, 2013
OKANOGAN Winter road closures start today in the Methow Valley and Tonasket ranger districts of the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest.
Several of the closed roads are part of the districts’ snowmobile trail system. Other closures to wheeled vehicles help provide protection for deer winter range and lynx habitat, the U.S. Forest Service said.
Food resources can be scarce for deer in the winter, and their energy reserves are low. The closures limit the disturbance of deer during that critical period.
Likewise, disturbance during the winter has been identified as a risk factor for lynx.
The Okanogan National Forest Travel Plan map shows seasonal road closures. It is free and available at Forest Service offices in Okanogan, Tonasket and Winthrop, and is online under the “maps” tab on the forest website at www.fs.usda.gov/goto/okawen.
More like this story
- Road block to established access
- Forest Service officials urge caution due to winter weather
- 820 (2015-239 May 6) NATIONAL FOREST TIMBER FOR SALE OKANOGAN-WENATCHEE NATIONAL FOREST
- 820 (2015-218 April 29) NATIONAL FOREST TIMBER FOR SALE OKANOGAN-WENATCHEE NATIONAL FOREST
- rescribed burns set for forest lands
- Business Council Chairman Boyd has died
- Do-it-yourself fireworks show in limbo
- Small fires, smoke checks reported
- Colville Tribal election returns too close to call
- Okanogan County ATV ordinance ruled invalid
- New wolf pack confirmed in Ferry County
- Safe 'n' Sane fireworks allowed in part of Omak
- 800 (2016-259 June 15, 22) Superior Court Clerk is requesting proposals
- 800 (2016-262 June 22) Notice of Primary Election
- 800 (2016-266 June 15, 22, 29, July 6, 13, 20) SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON,
2016 Molson Mid-Summer Festival
Here's a clip of the annual Molson Mid-Summer Festival, June 18, 2016. Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge