Sunday, December 1, 2013
OKANOGAN Winter road closures start today in the Methow Valley and Tonasket ranger districts of the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest.
Several of the closed roads are part of the districts’ snowmobile trail system. Other closures to wheeled vehicles help provide protection for deer winter range and lynx habitat, the U.S. Forest Service said.
Food resources can be scarce for deer in the winter, and their energy reserves are low. The closures limit the disturbance of deer during that critical period.
Likewise, disturbance during the winter has been identified as a risk factor for lynx.
The Okanogan National Forest Travel Plan map shows seasonal road closures. It is free and available at Forest Service offices in Okanogan, Tonasket and Winthrop, and is online under the “maps” tab on the forest website at www.fs.usda.gov/goto/okawen.
More like this story
- Road block to established access
- Forest Service officials urge caution due to winter weather
- 820 (2015-239 May 6) NATIONAL FOREST TIMBER FOR SALE OKANOGAN-WENATCHEE NATIONAL FOREST
- 820 (2015-218 April 29) NATIONAL FOREST TIMBER FOR SALE OKANOGAN-WENATCHEE NATIONAL FOREST
- rescribed burns set for forest lands
- Engle takes state 2B javelin crown
- 3.1 million Tommee Tippee Sippee cups recalled
- Fire safety urged over holiday weekend
- Guthrie music remembered Saturday
- Youth soccer tourney results announced
- Oxygen airs show about Tonasket murder
- 800 (2016-202 May 18, 25, June 1)
- 800 (2016-213 May 18, 25) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 800 (2016-214 May 18, 25) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 800 (2016-233 May 25) TONASKET EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES DISTRICT NOTICE
Reclamation officials talk about Conconully Lake Resort
Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge