Sunday, December 1, 2013
OKANOGAN Winter road closures start today in the Methow Valley and Tonasket ranger districts of the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest.
Several of the closed roads are part of the districts’ snowmobile trail system. Other closures to wheeled vehicles help provide protection for deer winter range and lynx habitat, the U.S. Forest Service said.
Food resources can be scarce for deer in the winter, and their energy reserves are low. The closures limit the disturbance of deer during that critical period.
Likewise, disturbance during the winter has been identified as a risk factor for lynx.
The Okanogan National Forest Travel Plan map shows seasonal road closures. It is free and available at Forest Service offices in Okanogan, Tonasket and Winthrop, and is online under the “maps” tab on the forest website at www.fs.usda.gov/goto/okawen.
More like this story
- Road block to established access
- Forest Service officials urge caution due to winter weather
- 820 (2015-239 May 6) NATIONAL FOREST TIMBER FOR SALE OKANOGAN-WENATCHEE NATIONAL FOREST
- 820 (2015-218 April 29) NATIONAL FOREST TIMBER FOR SALE OKANOGAN-WENATCHEE NATIONAL FOREST
- rescribed burns set for forest lands
- Meteorologists issue red flag warning
- Nearly $6,000 raised for motorcyclist’s family
- Hospital board does interview without search
- Tonasket strip club just a rumor
- District delayed in CEO firing
- Fire crews called to multiple fires following lightning storm
- Kennedy, Branch, Hover and Thrasher move on to General Election
- 810 (2016-343 Aug. 17) Notice of Public Hearing
- 820 (2016-346 Aug. 17, 24) NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS
- (2016-339 Aug. 17, Sept. 7) TS #60390-00113-NJ-WA - APN #2370080002
2016 Molson Mid-Summer Festival
Here's a clip of the annual Molson Mid-Summer Festival, June 18, 2016. Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge