Sunday, December 1, 2013
OKANOGAN Winter road closures start today in the Methow Valley and Tonasket ranger districts of the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest.
Several of the closed roads are part of the districts’ snowmobile trail system. Other closures to wheeled vehicles help provide protection for deer winter range and lynx habitat, the U.S. Forest Service said.
Food resources can be scarce for deer in the winter, and their energy reserves are low. The closures limit the disturbance of deer during that critical period.
Likewise, disturbance during the winter has been identified as a risk factor for lynx.
The Okanogan National Forest Travel Plan map shows seasonal road closures. It is free and available at Forest Service offices in Okanogan, Tonasket and Winthrop, and is online under the “maps” tab on the forest website at www.fs.usda.gov/goto/okawen.
More like this story
- Road block to established access
- Forest Service officials urge caution due to winter weather
- 820 (2015-239 May 6) NATIONAL FOREST TIMBER FOR SALE OKANOGAN-WENATCHEE NATIONAL FOREST
- 820 (2015-218 April 29) NATIONAL FOREST TIMBER FOR SALE OKANOGAN-WENATCHEE NATIONAL FOREST
- rescribed burns set for forest lands
- PUD to decide yay or nay on Enloe
- County has cash flow problem
- Tonasket wants to annex land south of town
- Drug bust lands eight people in jail
- Okanogan school levy falling short of 60 percent
- 800 (2016-173 April 27, May 4) Notice of Public Hearing
- 800 (2016-175 April 27) Mooney SP 2016-2 Application and SEPA Exemption
- 800 (2016-176 April 27) Jackass SP 2016-1 Application and SEPA Exemption
- 800 (2016-177 April 27) Yakama Nation Twisp Ponds Project, SEPA 2016-1 Final SEPA Determination
- 800 (2016-178 April 27) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
Reclamation officials talk about Conconully Lake Resort
Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge