Wednesday, August 28, 2013
MARBLEMOUNT - Three active fires ignited by lightning continue to burn within North Cascades National Park, but the remaining fires are in areas where they can be managed as part of the natural processes.
No trails or campgrounds have been impacted or closed, but intermittent smoke and flames can be seen emanating from the fires by boaters on Ross Lake and hikers on the East Bank Trail, located on the shore of Ross Lake.
The three remaining fires are the Arctic Dan Fire, the Big Beaver Fire and the Red Mountain Fire.
The Big Beaver Fire is the most recent of the blazes. It was discovered Aug. 14, mid-slope on the north-facing slope of Sourdough Mountain. It is now estimated at 1.5 acres in size.
The Arctic Dan Fire is the largest of the trio, estimated at 256 acres. It is burning in the remote backcountry in steep, rugged terrain in heavy timber. It's located on the west side of Ross Lake between Arctic Creek and No Name Creek, within the Stephen Mather Wilderness.
The Red Mountain Fire is burning in sub-alpine timber and brush, and is located between Thunder, Fisher and Logan creeks. It is 21 miles northwest of Stehekin and 11 miles south of Diablo Lake and measures about 2 acres.
Fires may continue to burn until the area of the North Cascades National Park Service Complex receives a season-ending weather event in the form of rain or snow.
More like this story
- Burn ban extended for parts of Okanogan County
- 820 2016-011 Jan. 20, Feb. 10)
- 800 (2016-012 Jan. 13, 20, 27) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN - JUVENILE
- 800 (2016-024 Jan. 20) Notice of Appeal Hearing SEPA Appeal of DNS for CUP 2015-8 Morgan Septic Lagoon
- 800 (2016-025 Jan. 20) Notice Seeking Comments regarding Juvenile Detention Options
- 810 (2016-019 Jan. 20) Notice of Initiation of Plan Update, Adoption for Implementation and Issuance of a DNS under SEPA
- 820 (2016-021 Jan. 20, 27, Feb. 03, 10) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-018 Jan. 20, 27, Feb. 3) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2016-013 Jan. 13, 20, 27) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER FOR SALE
- 820 (2016-014 Jan. 13, 20, 27) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE