Wednesday, August 28, 2013
MARBLEMOUNT - Three active fires ignited by lightning continue to burn within North Cascades National Park, but the remaining fires are in areas where they can be managed as part of the natural processes.
No trails or campgrounds have been impacted or closed, but intermittent smoke and flames can be seen emanating from the fires by boaters on Ross Lake and hikers on the East Bank Trail, located on the shore of Ross Lake.
The three remaining fires are the Arctic Dan Fire, the Big Beaver Fire and the Red Mountain Fire.
The Big Beaver Fire is the most recent of the blazes. It was discovered Aug. 14, mid-slope on the north-facing slope of Sourdough Mountain. It is now estimated at 1.5 acres in size.
The Arctic Dan Fire is the largest of the trio, estimated at 256 acres. It is burning in the remote backcountry in steep, rugged terrain in heavy timber. It's located on the west side of Ross Lake between Arctic Creek and No Name Creek, within the Stephen Mather Wilderness.
The Red Mountain Fire is burning in sub-alpine timber and brush, and is located between Thunder, Fisher and Logan creeks. It is 21 miles northwest of Stehekin and 11 miles south of Diablo Lake and measures about 2 acres.
Fires may continue to burn until the area of the North Cascades National Park Service Complex receives a season-ending weather event in the form of rain or snow.
More like this story
- Tonasket basketball coach reinstated
- Mumps case reported in Okanogan County
- 820 (2017-011 Jan. 18, 25, Feb. 1, 8, 15, 22) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF
- 820 (2017-013 Jan. 18, 25, Feb. 01, 8, 15, 22) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF
- 820 (2017-021 Jan. 25, Feb. 01, 08, 15, 22, March 01) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR
- 820 (2017-035 Feb. 15, 22) ADVERTISEMENT FOR BID TOWN OF TWISP - PUBLIC WORKS SHOP
- 820 (2017-039 Feb. 15, 22) Notice is hereby given that WDFW of Olympia WA filed an application
- 820 (2017-040 Feb. 22, March 1, 8) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2017-041 Feb. 22, March 1) BOARD MEMBER NEEDED!
- 820 (2017-042 Feb. 22) MEETING NOTICE