Wednesday, August 28, 2013
OMAK OMAK — Dozens of families took advantage of a “free yard sale” at Eagle Home Mortgage, 715 Okoma Drive, on Saturday, just in time for school to resume.
This was the second year the business has hosted the clothing giveaway.
Mike Thornton of Eagle Home Mortgage said the turnout for the giveaway was about the same as it was last year, but the business received more donations. Thornton said he was proud of the way the community stepped up to help fill a need in the area. In addition to an abundance of clothing, 88 packages of school supplies were given out.
Re/Max Lake and Country also hosted a similar event.
The Oroville real estate office, 1510 Main St., began collecting clothing items about two weeks ago, Jana Waddell said.
“We got just an explosion of donations,” Waddell said. “The community donated quite a bit. I was really impressed with the donations. That’s exciting to know that when people decide there’s a need that the community steps up.”
This was the first year Re/Max had done this type of event. Waddell said the business gave away about half of the items that were donated.
The leftover clothing items from both giveaways will be donated to Goodwill.
Thornton and Waddell said they will definitely be involved in another clothing drive next year. Waddell said Re/Max will do some brainstorming to figure out how to do next year’s event even better.
More like this story
- Landowners file suit over Carlton Complex fire
- Pasayten fire confinement boundaries scoped
- 'Mad Dog’ Mattis visits tavern in Prosser
- Fire danger rating rises in northeast Washington
- State changes Chinook salmon rule
- Diamond fire grows to 350 acres
- Grand opening planned for Tonasket swimming pool
- Commissioners modify pot moratorium
- Tonasket man hurt in crash
- Crews continue mopping up Bissell fire