Thursday, August 22, 2013
LEAVENWORTH - Okanogan County travelers heading to Seattle might need to avoid U.S. Highway 2 this week because of fire activity near town.
The Eagle Fire, five miles northeast of Leavenworth, started Aug. 19 and has grown to almost 1,200 acres. As of Thursday, Aug. 19, its growth potential was considered "high" and it was only 10 percent contained.
Eagle Creek Road is closed to the public about one mile above the junction with the Chumstick Road.
Currently, more than 300 firefighters are assigned to the fire. There are 30 homes under immediate evacuation orders.
The fire's cause is still under investigation.
More like this story
- Two injured in Wilbur crash
- Fired hatchery employees can contest terminations
- Yakima woman dies in Omak crash
- TwispWorks plans fundraiser dinner
- Snake River to open for fall Chinook salmon fishing
- September hearing anticipated for Sinixt hunting caste
- Communications tower proposed for Little Buck Mountain
- Ag department finds female gypsy moths
- First Tuesday event focuses on bluebirds
- Anglers may retain unclipped Chinook on the Entiat River starting Friday, Aug. 18