Thursday, August 22, 2013
LEAVENWORTH - Okanogan County travelers heading to Seattle might need to avoid U.S. Highway 2 this week because of fire activity near town.
The Eagle Fire, five miles northeast of Leavenworth, started Aug. 19 and has grown to almost 1,200 acres. As of Thursday, Aug. 19, its growth potential was considered "high" and it was only 10 percent contained.
Eagle Creek Road is closed to the public about one mile above the junction with the Chumstick Road.
Currently, more than 300 firefighters are assigned to the fire. There are 30 homes under immediate evacuation orders.
The fire's cause is still under investigation.
More like this story
- Community engagement is Methow fair’s theme
- VIEW FROM THE SIDELINES: Start them young
- Training exercise planned
- Delayed opener predicted for North Cascades Highway
- Games must go on
- UW students spend break working with youngsters
- Gas prices remain stable; price increases expected
- Growers meet with lawmakers
- Breakfast bill gets Steele amendments
- Drivers have until March 31 to remove studded tires