Thursday, August 22, 2013
LEAVENWORTH - Okanogan County travelers heading to Seattle might need to avoid U.S. Highway 2 this week because of fire activity near town.
The Eagle Fire, five miles northeast of Leavenworth, started Aug. 19 and has grown to almost 1,200 acres. As of Thursday, Aug. 19, its growth potential was considered "high" and it was only 10 percent contained.
Eagle Creek Road is closed to the public about one mile above the junction with the Chumstick Road.
Currently, more than 300 firefighters are assigned to the fire. There are 30 homes under immediate evacuation orders.
The fire's cause is still under investigation.
More like this story
- Entries sought for Halloween Harvest Decorating Contest
- St. George’s edges Okanogan soccer, 3-1
- Omak JV takes first at Pateros tournament
- Liberty Bell girls win without No. 1 runner
- Sweet pickleball results for Omak tournament
- Brewster football charges back late to edge Tonasket
- Hunters do well in hunting season openers
- Ashworth pitches in Arizona Fall Classic
- Felines frolic on new cat trees
- VIEW FROM THE SIDELINES: Dawgs football rises up to No. 5 in poll