Thursday, August 22, 2013
LEAVENWORTH - Okanogan County travelers heading to Seattle might need to avoid U.S. Highway 2 this week because of fire activity near town.
The Eagle Fire, five miles northeast of Leavenworth, started Aug. 19 and has grown to almost 1,200 acres. As of Thursday, Aug. 19, its growth potential was considered "high" and it was only 10 percent contained.
Eagle Creek Road is closed to the public about one mile above the junction with the Chumstick Road.
Currently, more than 300 firefighters are assigned to the fire. There are 30 homes under immediate evacuation orders.
The fire's cause is still under investigation.
More like this story
- PUD hopefuls share their views at forum
- Thunderstorm rips through county
- Ready, set, Pokemon Go! Online game craze hits the Okanogan
- New curtains installed at PAC
- Officials issue hazardous weather outlook
- Former NVH employee ‘disappointed’ with district
- DNR to add fire base in Omak
- Lynx could be added to state endangered list
- Hit-and-run crash kills Brewster teacher
- Bar-S Foods Company recalls hot dogs, corn dogs
2016 Molson Mid-Summer Festival
Here's a clip of the annual Molson Mid-Summer Festival, June 18, 2016. Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge