Thursday, August 22, 2013
LEAVENWORTH - Okanogan County travelers heading to Seattle might need to avoid U.S. Highway 2 this week because of fire activity near town.
The Eagle Fire, five miles northeast of Leavenworth, started Aug. 19 and has grown to almost 1,200 acres. As of Thursday, Aug. 19, its growth potential was considered "high" and it was only 10 percent contained.
Eagle Creek Road is closed to the public about one mile above the junction with the Chumstick Road.
Currently, more than 300 firefighters are assigned to the fire. There are 30 homes under immediate evacuation orders.
The fire's cause is still under investigation.
More like this story
- Santa Claus plans stop in Conconully
- Malott Grange plans Santa party
- Oroville tree lighting set tomorrow
- Shoppers have choice of several bazaars
- Tonasket gears up for Winterfest
- Mid-Valley Hospital CEO search begins
- Get Lit celebration planned tonight
- Rallying for love, showing support
- Fire guts North Country Pub
- 810 (2016-425 Nov. 30) STREET CLOSURE
Chronicle News Broadcast for Oct. 19, 2016
An Oroville woman injured in car wreck near Crumbacher, Omak house damaged by fire, thousands expected to attend Okanogan Family (Barter) Faire, Natalie Carrier talks about the Omak Zombie Fun Run, a look at your weekend weather forecast, and weekly sports report. Enlarge