Wednesday, August 21, 2013
CHELAN - Fire officials continue to monitor a fire burning in the Glacier Peak Wilderness area near the boundary with North Cascades National Park.
No active firefighting is under way on the Riddle Creek Fire, which is burning about two miles up the Riddle Creek drainage from Lake Chelan.
It has been monitored by aircraft and boat for the past week since the location is hazardous for firefighters. The one-acre, lightning-caused fire is burning in steep, inaccessible terrain, the U.S. Forest Service said.
The fire was reported Aug. 11 and is burning in timber and brush. Fire behavior remains moderate, with creeping and smoldering activity.
Smoke from the blaze can be seen from the north end of Lake Chelan and portions of the Stehekin Valley.
Fire managers from the Chelan Ranger District of the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest will continue to monitor the fire until the area receives a substantial amount of precipitation or snow, forest officials said.
Structures along the lakeshore at the bottom of Riddle Creek are not threatened. Neither Stehekin nor Holden Village is threatened, nor are there any trail closures.
A management action plan has been developed by the Forest Service and National Park Service if the fire requires suppression. Helicopter water drops could be used.
More like this story
- 810 (2015-472 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) City of Omak
- 810 (2015-562 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) INVITATION TO BID
- 810 (2015-613 Nov. 18, 25) At the regular council meeting of November 10, 2015
- 810 (2015-626 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) Notice is hereby given that the Town of Riverside, Washington
- 810 (2015-627 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) A public meeting for the 2016 Budget
- 810 (2015-628 Nov. 25) NOTICE OF ORDINANCE PASSED BY THE OKANOGAN CITY COUNCIL
- 810 (2015-629 Nov. 25) CITY OF OKANOGAN NOTICE OF STREET CLOSURE NOTICE
- 810 (2015-630 Nov. 25) SUMMARY OF RESOLUTION No. 39-2015 OF THE City of Omak, Washington.
- 810 (2015-632 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 820 (2015-612 Nov. 18, 25, Dec. 2) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON