Wednesday, August 21, 2013
CHELAN - Fire officials continue to monitor a fire burning in the Glacier Peak Wilderness area near the boundary with North Cascades National Park.
No active firefighting is under way on the Riddle Creek Fire, which is burning about two miles up the Riddle Creek drainage from Lake Chelan.
It has been monitored by aircraft and boat for the past week since the location is hazardous for firefighters. The one-acre, lightning-caused fire is burning in steep, inaccessible terrain, the U.S. Forest Service said.
The fire was reported Aug. 11 and is burning in timber and brush. Fire behavior remains moderate, with creeping and smoldering activity.
Smoke from the blaze can be seen from the north end of Lake Chelan and portions of the Stehekin Valley.
Fire managers from the Chelan Ranger District of the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest will continue to monitor the fire until the area receives a substantial amount of precipitation or snow, forest officials said.
Structures along the lakeshore at the bottom of Riddle Creek are not threatened. Neither Stehekin nor Holden Village is threatened, nor are there any trail closures.
A management action plan has been developed by the Forest Service and National Park Service if the fire requires suppression. Helicopter water drops could be used.
More like this story
- 820 (2015-518, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-513 Oct. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-512 Oct. 7, 14) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-507 Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-503 Sept. 30, Oct. 7) NOTICE OF HEARING PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT NO. 1 OF OKANOGAN COUNTY 2016 PROPOSED BUDGET
- 820 (2015-490 Sept. 23, 30, Oct. 7) In The Superior Court Of The State Of Washington County of Chelan.
- 820 (2015-456 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-455 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Public Notice
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Town of Twisp Request for Statement of Qualifications
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge