Wednesday, August 21, 2013
CHELAN - Fire officials continue to monitor a fire burning in the Glacier Peak Wilderness area near the boundary with North Cascades National Park.
No active firefighting is under way on the Riddle Creek Fire, which is burning about two miles up the Riddle Creek drainage from Lake Chelan.
It has been monitored by aircraft and boat for the past week since the location is hazardous for firefighters. The one-acre, lightning-caused fire is burning in steep, inaccessible terrain, the U.S. Forest Service said.
The fire was reported Aug. 11 and is burning in timber and brush. Fire behavior remains moderate, with creeping and smoldering activity.
Smoke from the blaze can be seen from the north end of Lake Chelan and portions of the Stehekin Valley.
Fire managers from the Chelan Ranger District of the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest will continue to monitor the fire until the area receives a substantial amount of precipitation or snow, forest officials said.
Structures along the lakeshore at the bottom of Riddle Creek are not threatened. Neither Stehekin nor Holden Village is threatened, nor are there any trail closures.
A management action plan has been developed by the Forest Service and National Park Service if the fire requires suppression. Helicopter water drops could be used.
More like this story
- Court denies ATV case review
- Three Devils case heads to appeals court
- Holiday Twinkies recalled
- 810 (2017-009 Jan. 11, 18) REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS (RFQ)
- 820 (2017-001 Jan. 4, 11)
- 820 (2017-006 Jan. 11) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2017-007 Jan. 11) SMALL WORKS APPLICATIONS
- 820 (2017-008 Jan. 11, 18) Okanogan County Dept. of Public Works NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- Burn ban issued for Okanogan, Stevens counties
- Pearl Jam donates $25,000 to Rail Trail
Chronicle News Broadcast for Oct. 19, 2016
An Oroville woman injured in car wreck near Crumbacher, Omak house damaged by fire, thousands expected to attend Okanogan Family (Barter) Faire, Natalie Carrier talks about the Omak Zombie Fun Run, a look at your weekend weather forecast, and weekly sports report. Enlarge