Thursday, August 1, 2013
STEHEKIN — Strong winds have spread the Moore Point Fire to 1,500 acres in the Lake Chelan Sawtooth Wilderness, as of Thursday, Aug. 1.
Firefighters worked into the night on July 31 to protect private structures near Meadow Creek.
The fire was started by a July 28 lightning strike.
Officials from the Chelan County Sheriff’s Office have increased the evacuation level for the private residences in the Meadow Creek area to a Level III, advising homeowners to leave due to the high fire danger. No structures have been lost at this time.
For public and firefighter safety, Forest Service officials have closed the Moore Point Campground and the Meadow Creek Shelter along Lake Chelan. Trails affected by the Moore Point Fire include the Lakeshore Trail No. 1274 from Prince Creek to Flick Creek, Moore Point Trail (No. 1247.1), North Fork of Fish Creek Trail (No. 1248.1), Fish Creek Trail (No. 1245) and the Horton Butte Trail (No. 1250.01). These trails are posted closed to public access due to the fire danger.
Lightning on July 28 also ignited several other fires in the area.
Firefighters have been able to suppress the Wolverine Creek Fire, located three miles north of Lucerne as well as the Jungle Fire located about two miles north of Graham Harbor. These fires have been declared out.
The Skookum Puss Fire, located near the headwaters of Rex Creek, is 100 percent contained and will be monitored by air resources.
More like this story
- PUD hopefuls share their views at forum
- Thunderstorm rips through county
- Ready, set, Pokemon Go! Online game craze hits the Okanogan
- New curtains installed at PAC
- Officials issue hazardous weather outlook
- Former NVH employee ‘disappointed’ with district
- DNR to add fire base in Omak
- Lynx could be added to state endangered list
- Hit-and-run crash kills Brewster teacher
- Bar-S Foods Company recalls hot dogs, corn dogs
2016 Molson Mid-Summer Festival
Here's a clip of the annual Molson Mid-Summer Festival, June 18, 2016. Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge